Scope and Contents
The collection consists of manuscripts of Baker's books and radio scripts.
Books include: Casebook of Successful Ideas, How to be an Optimist--and Make It Pay, Miracle Gardening Encyclopedia, 1001 Questions and Answers to Your Skin Problems with Sidney J. Robbins and Stephanie H. Robbins, and Your Key to Creative Thinking.
Radio scripts include: Cheer Up America, The Life of Mary Cassatt, and The Story of Auguste Rodin--the Sculptor Comes to Life; as well as seven scripts are for the Famous Jury Trials series, Mutual Broadcasting System, 1938-1939: The People vs. Doctor Osborn, The People vs. George Chapin, The People vs. John Miller, The People vs. Lewis Parker, The People vs. William Evans, The State vs. Charles Logan, The State vs. Howard Conroy,
- Baker, Samm Sinclair (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to the public. Collection must be used in Special Collections and University Archives Reading Room. Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives in advance of your visit to allow for transportation time.
Conditions Governing Use
Property rights reside with Special Collections and University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections and University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
Biographical / Historical
Samm Sinclair Baker (1909-1997) was born in Patterson, New Jersey. He attended Columbia, Pennsylvania, and New York universities. He worked as an advertising executive. In addition to his work in advertising, Baker wrote numerous self-help books, mysteries and radio scripts. He was also a founder of Stern's Nurseries, developers of Miracle Grow.
2.75 linear feet (4 containers) : 1 record storage box, 2 manuscript boxes, 1 legal half manuscript box
Language of Materials
Samm Sinclair Baker (1909-1997) was an advertising executive and writer of numerous self-help books. The collection consists of manuscripts of some of Baker's books and radio plays.
The manuscripts are organized into the following series: Books, Radio Scripts.
Other Finding Aids
Paper finding aid with additional information is available in Special Collections & University Archives.
Collection processed by staff.
This finding aid may be updated periodically to account for new acquisitions to the collection and/or revisions in arrangement and description.
This collection received a basic level of processing including minimal organization and rehousing.
Description information is drawn in part from information supplied with the collection and initial surveys of the contents
- Advertising -- United States -- History -- 20th century Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Advertising executives -- United States Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Authors, American -- 20th century -- Manuscripts Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Baker, Samm Sinclair
- Manuscripts for publication Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Oregon Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Radio scripts Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Radio writers -- United States Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Religious broadcasting -- United States -- History -- 20th century Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Guide to the Samm S. Baker Papers
- Complete Description
- Austin Munsell and Kira B. Homo
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English
- Funding for production of this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC).