Henry Gilsheuser papers
Scope and Contents
There is a folder titled "personal correspondence," which really contains official and semi-official correspondence to and from Gilsheuser (1912-1915)
The collection also contains a large amount of circulars (official newsletters) of the Headquarters of the Bureau of Constabulary, from 1907 to 1916.
Also available are General Orders from the Bureau of Constabulary, District of Mindanao, 1915-1916, and a Roster of Officers, 1916.
The collection also contains a manuscript monograph titled, "Province of Lanao," 1916, prepared by the Constabulary of Lanao under Gilsheuser's direction.
- Philippine Constabulary (Organization)
- Gilsheuser, Henry (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to the public. Collection must be used in Special Collections and University Archives Reading Room. Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives in advance of your visit to allow for transportation time.
Conditions Governing Use
Property rights reside with Special Collections and University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections and University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
Biographical / Historical
Henry Gilsheuser was born in Germany, and enlisted in the U. S. Army in 1898.
Gilsheuser served in the Philippines, and was appointed 3rd lieutenant in the Philippine Constabulary in 1903, and rose to grade of Lieutenant Colonel.
He was appointed Provincial Governor of Lanao, and served from 1910 to 1912, and again from 1915 to 1917. He retired in 1917.
1 linear feet (2 containers)
Language of Materials
Henry Gilsheuser served in U.S. Army in the Philippines, rose to the grade of Lieutenant Colonel in the Philippine Constabulary, and was appointed Provincial Governor of Lanao in 1910 and served until 1912, and again from 1915 to 1917. The collection (1907-1916) contains official and semi-official correspondence, Constabulary circulars (newsletters), general orders, and rosters, and also a manuscript regarding the Province of Lanao.
1 legal manuscript box, and one legal half-manuscript box.
Collection processed by staff 1990s; and Tanya Parlet, 2013.
This finding aid may be updated periodically to account for new acquisitions to the collection and/or revisions in arrangement and description.
This collection received a basic level of processing including minimal organization and rehousing.
Description information is drawn in part from information supplied with the collection and initial surveys of the contents.
Folder titles are based on those created by the creators or previous custodians. Titles have not all been verified against the contents of the folders. In some cases, staff supplied folder titles during initial processing.
- Correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Gilsheuser, Henry
- Manuscripts (documents) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Mindanao Island (Philippines) -- Politics and government Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Newsletters Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Philippine Constabulary
- Philippines -- Politics and government -- 1898-1935 Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Police -- Philippines -- History -- 20th century Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States. Army
- Guide to the Henry Gilsheuser Papers
- Complete Description
- Tanya Parlet
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.
- Funding for production of this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC).
Part of the University of Oregon Libraries, Special Collections and University Archives Repository
1299 University of Oregon
Eugene OR 97403-1299 USA