Scope and Contents
The collection (1864-1924) contains family and business correspondence, and a letterpress copy book consisting of the outgoing correspondence of the Alsea Packing Company.
The Alsea Packing Company canned salmon, and the correspondence is from 1887-1890.
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to the public. Collection must be used in Special Collections and University Archives Reading Room. Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives in advance of your visit to allow for transportation time.
Conditions Governing Use
Property rights reside with Special Collections and University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections and University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
Biographical / Historical
James Suydam Polhemus (1852-1930) was born in Astoria, New York, and educated at Lehigh University.
He became an engineer and worked for the U. S. Army Engineers in Texas, in the Great Lakes region, and in California. He settled in Oregon in the 1880s, and engineered the jetties at Yaquina and Coos Bay harbors.
0.5 linear feet (1 container) : 1 manuscript box
Language of Materials
James Suydam Polhemus (1852-1930) became an engineer and worked for the U. S. Army Engineers in Texas, in the Great Lakes region, in California, and later settled in Oregon in the 1880s, where he engineered the jetties at Yaquina and Coos Bay harbors. The collection (1864-1924) contains family and business correspondence, and a letterpress copy book consisting of the outgoing correspondence of the Alsea Packing Company.
Material within this collection is minimally arranged. Any arrangement is either derived from the records' creators or custodians or from staff at the time of initial processing. It may be necessary to look in multiple places for the same types of materials.
Collection processed by staff.
This finding aid may be updated periodically to account for new acquisitions to the collection and/or revisions in arrangement and description.
This collection received a basic level of processing including minimal organization and rehousing.
Description information is drawn in part from information supplied with the collection and initial surveys of the contents.
- Alsea Packing Company
- Civil engineers -- Oregon -- Correspondence Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Oregon Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Polhemus family
- Polhemus, James S. (James Suydam), 1852-1930
- Salmon canning industry -- Oregon Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Guide to the James Suydam Polhemus Papers
- Complete Description
- Tanys Parlet and Kira B. Homo.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English
- Funding for production of this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC).