Harold Hanne Elarth papers
Scope and Contents
The collection contains research for Elarth's book on the Philippine Constabulary, Philippine Constabulary Officers Association history, a diary, letterpress copybooks, a Philippine Constabulary manual, photographs, and correspondence.
Research material for the book, The Story of the Philippine Constabulary includes an official roster and checklists, correspondence, official military biographies, research notes, and a copy of the book. Correspondence includes over 200 letters from Constabulary officers (1943-1950). The officers wrote accounts of their service in the Constabulary. Also included are over sixty letters from Elarth to Constabulary officers.
Philippine Constabulary Officers Association history material consists of a constitution and copies of the Association Bulletin (1950-1966).
Elarth's personal material includes one diary (1910-1915), letterpress copybooks consisting of outgoing letters (1902-1904) and letters received (1902-1904). Also included here is a Philippine Constabulary manual (1915).
The collection also contains photographs and they document Elarth's time spent in the Philippines and in the Constabulary, 1904-1917.
- Elarth, Harold Hanne, 1885- (Person)
Biographical / Historical
Harold Hanne Elarth (b. 1885) was born in Nebraska. and who became a U.S. Army officer who rose to the rank of Lieutenant colonel. His major service was in the Philippine insurrection and with the Philippine Constabulary.
Elarth wrote a book focusing on his and others memories of the Constabulary titled, "The Story of the Philippine Constabulary," published in 1949.
4.5 linear feet (3 containers)
Language of Materials
Harold Hanne Elarth (b. 1885) was a U. S. Army officer who served in the Philippine Constabulary and rose to the rank of Lt. Col. The collection contains research for Elarth's book on the Philippine Constabulary, Philippine Constabulary Officers Association history, a diary, letterpress copybooks, a Philippine Constabulary manual, photographs, and correspondence.
Other Finding Aids
Paper finding aid with additional information is available in Special Collections & University Archives.
1 record storage box; Photo boxes: 2 boxes.
Collection processed by staff, 1966.
This finding aid may be updated periodically to account for new acquisitions to the collection and/or revisions in arrangement and description.
This collection received a basic level of processing including minimal organization and rehousing.
Description information is drawn in part from information supplied with the collection and initial surveys of the contents.
- Correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Diaries Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Elarth, Harold Hanne, 1885-
- Letterpress copybooks Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Philippine Constabulary
- Philippines -- Photographs Subject Source: Lcnaf
- Photographs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Police -- Philippines Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Research notes Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Soldiers -- United States -- Correspondence Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States. Army
- Guide to the Harold Hanne Elarth Papers
- Complete Description
- Tanya Parlet
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.
- Funding for production of this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC).
Part of the University of Oregon Libraries, Special Collections and University Archives Repository
1299 University of Oregon
Eugene OR 97403-1299 USA