Scope and Contents
The collection contains research notes, published pieces, royalty statements, and correspondence with agents, other writers, and from readers.
The research notes are from notes taken at western locations for twenty-four western novels.
Correspondence is mainly with the Frank A. Munsey Co. (1933-1937), agent Arthur E. Scott (1928-1929), and agent Paul R. Reynolds (1939-1942). There is also a file of letters from other writers and from readers.
- Frank A. Munsey & Co. (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to the public. Collection must be used in Special Collections and University Archives Reading Room. Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives in advance of your visit to allow for transportation time.
Conditions Governing Use
Property rights reside with Special Collections and University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections and University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
Biographical / Historical
Allan V. Elston (1887-1976) was born in Kansas City, Missouri, and educated in civil engineering at the University of Missouri. He worked on railroads, as a mining engineer in Chile, and as a cattle rancher. From 1924 on, he was a free-lance writer of western fiction.
1.5 linear feet (1 container)
Language of Materials
Allan V. Elston (1887-1976) was educated as a civil engineer, and he worked on railroads, as a mining engineer in Chile, as a cattle rancher, and from 1924 on he wrote western fiction. The collection contains research notes, published pieces, royalty statements, and correspondence with agents, other writers, and from readers, 1930-1960.
Material within this collection is minimally arranged. Any arrangement is either derived from the records' creators or custodians or from staff at the time of initial processing. It may be necessary to look in multiple places for the same types of materials.
1 record storage box.
Collection processed by staff.
This finding aid may be updated periodically to account for new acquisitions to the collection and/or revisions in arrangement and description.
This collection received a basic level of processing including minimal organization and rehousing.
Description information is drawn in part from information supplied with the collection and initial surveys of the contents.
- American fiction -- 20th century Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Authors and publishers -- Correspondence Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Authors, American -- 20th century Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Elston, Allan Vaughan, 1887-1976
- Financial records Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Literary agents -- United States -- Correspondence Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Research notes Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Reynolds, Paul R. (Paul Revere), 1904-1988
- Scott, Arthur E.
- West (U.S.) -- In literature Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Western stories Subject Source: Local sources
- Western stories -- Authorship Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Guide to the Allan Elston Papers
- Complete Description
- Tanya Parlet and Kira B. Homo.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.
- Funding for production of this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC).