Virgil Bain Staples legislative correspondence
Scope and Contents
The collection contains legislative correspondence regarding requests and advice from constituents and lobbyists.
The correspondence is first separated by session (1933; 1935 special session; 1937) and then letters are organized alphabetically within each session.
- Staples, Virgil Bain, 1877-1955 (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to the public. Collection must be used in Special Collections and University Archives Reading Room. Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives in advance of your visit to allow for transportation time.
Conditions Governing Use
Property rights reside with Special Collections and University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections and University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
Biographical / Historical
Virgil Bain Staples was born in Henderson, Kentucky, and moved to Oregon in 1896. He worked as a ranch hand in eastern Oregon, and became a businessman in Ontario, Oregon.
He later served in the Oregon Legislature as a Republican, representing the 31st District, Malheur County, 1933-1945.
1 linear feet (2 containers) : 2 manuscript boxes
Language of Materials
Virgil Bain Staples worked as a ranch hand in eastern Oregon, became a businessman in Ontario, Oregon, and served in the Oregon Legislature as representative from the 31st District, Malheur County, 1933-1945. The collection contains legislative correspondence regarding requests and advice from constituents and lobbyists, 1933-1937.
Material within this collection is minimally arranged. Any arrangement is either derived from the records' creators or custodians or from staff at the time of initial processing. It may be necessary to look in multiple places for the same types of materials.
Collection processed by staff.
This finding aid may be updated periodically to account for new acquisitions to the collection and/or revisions in arrangement and description.
This collection received a basic level of processing including minimal organization and rehousing.
Description information is drawn in part from information supplied with the collection and initial surveys of the contents.
- Correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Legislators -- Oregon -- Correspondence Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Malheur County (Or.) -- Politics and government -- 20th century Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Oregon Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Oregon -- Politics and government -- 1859-1950 Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Oregon. Legislative Assembly. House of Representatives
- Politicians -- Oregon -- Correspondence Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Republican Party (Or.)
- Staples, Virgil Bain, 1877-1955
- Guide to the Virgil Bain Staples Legislative Correspondence
- Complete Description
- Tanya Parlet and Kira B. Homo.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English
- Funding for production of this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC).
Part of the University of Oregon Libraries, Special Collections and University Archives Repository
1299 University of Oregon
Eugene OR 97403-1299 USA