George Parkhurst Cheney papers
Scope and Contents
City of Enterprise material (1932-1938) includes correspondence regarding negotiations with bond holders, a financial statement of the town, issues of the Oregon Voter, clippings, corners of bonds, and a notebook.
There is also a folder of correspondence regarding Cheney's personal and professional financial matters, and includes stocks and investment information (1907-1939).
Mementos include clippings and articles regarding Cheney's career.
- Oregon voter magazine (Organization)
- Cheney, George Parkhurst, 1871-1962 (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to the public. Collection must be used in Special Collections and University Archives Reading Room. Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives in advance of your visit to allow for transportation time.
Conditions Governing Use
Property rights reside with Special Collections and University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections and University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
Biographical / Historical
George Parkhurst Cheney (1871 - 1962) was owner and editor of the Record-Chieftain, of Enterprise, Oregon., from 1911 until 1941.
Cheney was also a member of the Citizen's Tax Committee, of Enterprise, Oregon. The city of Enterprise, Oregon tried to buy city bonds due to financial difficulties.
0.5 linear feet (1 container) : 1 manuscript box
Language of Materials
George Parkhurst Cheney (1871 - 1962) was publisher and editor of the Record-Chieftain, of Enterprise, Oregon. The collection (1907-1941) contains correspondence and documents regarding the status of City of Enterprise bonds, Citizen's Tax Committee correspondence, Oregon Voters magazines, and also a few mementos of Cheney's publishing career.
Collection processed by staff in the 1970s; and Tanya Parlet, 2013.
This finding aid may be updated periodically to account for new acquisitions to the collection and/or revisions in arrangement and description.
This collection received a basic level of processing including minimal organization and rehousing.
Description information is drawn in part from information supplied with the collection and initial surveys of the contents.
- Bonds (negotiable instruments) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Bonds -- Oregon -- Enterprise Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Cheney, George Parkhurst, 1871-1962
- Cheney, George Parkhurst, 1871-1962
- Correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Enterprise (Or.) -- History -- 20th century Subject Source: Lcnaf
- Enterprise Record Chieftain (Enterprise, Or.) (1911-1938)
- Financial records Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Newspaper editors -- Oregon -- Enterprise Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Newspaper publishing -- Oregon -- Enterprise -- History -- 20th century Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Oregon Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Oregon -- Politics and government -- 1859-1950 Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Publishers and publishing -- Oregon -- Enterprise Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Taxation -- Oregon Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Guide to the George Parkhurst Cheney Papers
- Complete Description
- Tanya Parlet.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.
- Funding for production of this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC).
Part of the University of Oregon Libraries, Special Collections and University Archives Repository
1299 University of Oregon
Eugene OR 97403-1299 USA