Leonard Friendly papers
Scope and Contents
There are five music manuscripts in the collection.
Phonograph records include a set of records titled, "Leonard Friendly's Hammond Organ Stylings."
Business correspondence consists of communications with agencies, publishers, and supply companies regarding music rights, recordings, and radio affairs (1948-1957).
The rest of the correspondence files are organized by city and state where a radio program was played, and by title of correspondent.
Correspondence from Arlington, Virginia contains letters from fans of Friendly's radio program of organ music on WPIK (1947-1948).
There is a folder of letters from an admirer "Shirley," with whom Friendly correspondence with regularly about personal and professional matters (1950-1957).
Salt Lake City, Utah correspondence contains letters from fans of the organ program on KSL (1950-1957).
Portland, Oregon correspondence contains letters from fans of Friendly's KWJJ program (1959-1960).
Files of other material include radio program schedules, advertising, clippings, tax returns, music brochures, radio performance records, promotional material, photographs of Friendly, and continuity scrips.
- Friendly, Leonard (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to the public. Collection must be used in Special Collections and University Archives Reading Room. Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives in advance of your visit to allow for transportation time.
Conditions Governing Use
Property rights reside with Special Collections and University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections and University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
1.5 linear feet (2 containers)
Language of Materials
Leonard Friendly was a music author and arranger who also ran radio music programs on WPIK, KSL, and on Portland, Oregon's radio station KWJJ. The collection (1947-1960) contains music manuscripts, phonograph records, business correspondence, letters for fans, and letters regarding Friendly's radio programs, financial records, radio performance files, and promotional material.
1 record storage box, and 1 flat box.
Collection processed by staff in the 1970s, and Tanya Parlet, 2013.
This finding aid may be updated periodically to account for new acquisitions to the collection and/or revisions in arrangement and description.
This collection received a basic level of processing including minimal organization and rehousing.
Description information is drawn in part from information supplied with the collection and initial surveys of the contents.
- Arrangers (Musicians) -- United States Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Composers -- United States Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Composition (Music) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Friendly, Leonard
- Manuscripts for publication Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Music Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Music -- Manuscripts -- United States Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Music -- United States -- 20th century -- History and criticism Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Music publishers -- Correspondence Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Phonograph records Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Popular music -- United States Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Radio and music -- United States Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Radio broadcasters -- Oregon -- Portland Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Radio broadcasters -- United States Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Radio programs -- Oregon -- Portland -- History -- 20th century Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Religious broadcasting -- United States -- History -- 20th century Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Guide to the Leonard Friendly Papers
- Complete Description
- Tanya Parlet.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.
- Funding for production of this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC).
Part of the University of Oregon Libraries, Special Collections and University Archives Repository
1299 University of Oregon
Eugene OR 97403-1299 USA