Scope and Contents
The published music includes Carroll's two most popular pieces, "Down in Bom-Bombay," and "I'm Always Chasing Rainbows."
Photographs were removed from their original location in the collection, and are stored separately for preservation reasons. Photographs include portraits and photos of performances of L. Wolfe Gilbert; Ned Washington (writer of the song, "When You Wish Upon a Star;") Maxine Lewis; Norman Carey; Jack Mulhall; Mack Gordon; Connie Mack; Christy Walsh (manager of Babe Ruth); Joe E. Brown; the California Collegians; Joe Howard and wife (author of the song, "I Wonder Who's Kissing Her Now;" and an oversize group photograph of alumni at Saint Vincent's College's 50th Anniversary reunion (1961).
There are many photographs of the Carroll family.
There are also portrait sketches of Christy Walsh (sports writer), and George Gershwin.
- Carroll, Harry, 1892-1962 (Person)
- American Society of Composers, Authors and Publishers (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to the public. Collection must be used in Special Collections and University Archives Reading Room. Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives in advance of your visit to allow for transportation time.
Conditions Governing Use
Property rights reside with Special Collections and University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections and University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
3 linear feet (3 containers) : 1 legal manuscript box, 1 flat box, 1 flat photograph box
Language of Materials
Harry Carroll (1892-1962) was a composer of popular songs. The collection (1913-1963) contains an autobiography written about 1959, correspondence with ASCAP (1943-1963), articles about Carroll, music manuscripts, published music, loose scrapbook leaves and photographs.
Collection processed by staff 1970s, and Tanya Parlet, 2013.
This finding aid may be updated periodically to account for new acquisitions to the collection and/or revisions in arrangement and description.
This collection received a basic level of processing including minimal organization and rehousing.
Description information is drawn in part from information supplied with the collection and initial surveys of the contents
- American Society of Composers, Authors and Publishers
- Autobiographies Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Carroll, Harry, 1892-1962
- Carroll, Harry, 1892-1962
- Composers -- Portraits Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Composers -- United States Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Entertainers -- Portraits Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Music Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Music -- Manuscripts -- United States Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Musicals -- Excerpts, Arranged Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Photographs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Popular music -- United States Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Portraits Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Scores Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Sheet music Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Guide to the Harry Carroll Papers
- Complete Description
- Tanya Parlet.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.
- Funding for production of this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC).