Scope and Contents
The collection (1944-1963) contains transcriptions of folk songs, folk sayings, and tales, course outlines, letters of inquiry from other folklorists, notes and research, and transcriptions by Alderson of songs of fiddler Karl Hutcheson and ballad singer Mrs. Don Slocum, both of Portland.
- Creation: 1944-1963
- Alderson, William L., 1913-1963 (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to the public. Collection must be used in Special Collections and University Archives Reading Room. Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives in advance of your visit to allow for transportation time.
Conditions Governing Use
Property rights reside with Special Collections and University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections and University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
1 linear feet (2 containers) : 2 manuscript boxes
Language of Materials
William L. Alderson was a professor of literature at Reed College, in Portland, Oregon. The collection (1944-1963) folk songs, folk sayings, and tales, course outlines, correspondence, and transcriptions.
Collection processed by staff, and Tanya Parlet, 2013.
This finding aid may be updated periodically to account for new acquisitions to the collection and/or revisions in arrangement and description.
This collection received a basic level of processing including minimal organization and rehousing.
Description information is drawn in part from information supplied with the collection and initial surveys of the contents
Genre / Form
- College teachers -- Oregon -- Portland
- English teachers -- Oregon -- Portland
- Folk music -- Oregon
- Folk musicians -- Oregon -- Portland
- Folk songs
- Folk songs, English -- Oregon
- Folklore -- Study and teaching (Higher) -- Oregon -- Portland
- Folklore and Folklife
- Folklorists -- Correspondence
- Folklorists -- Oregon -- Portland
- Guide to the William L. Alderson papers
- Complete Description
- Tanya Parlet
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.
- Funding for production of this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC).