Walter Harold Horning papers
Scope and Contents note
The Walter Harold Horning Papers consist of his school notes and his work papers relating to forestry. Series I, Correspondence, is organized both alphabetically and chronologically and relates to his work as a forester. Series II, Subject Files, contains correspondence, drafts, and reports for the Department of Conservation and material related to the California and Oregon Land Grant. Series III, Reports, includes a variety of drafts and final reports on forest management, including the proposal for the creation of Mt. Olympus National Park. Series IV, Work Related Manuscripts includes various work diaries and report drafts. Series V, Miscellaneous Work Papers, includes material from a 1948 trial and a photograph album. Series VI, School Work, consists of Horning's class notes, assignments, and exams from his days in college. Series VII, Miscellaneous, contains two black and white photographs of Horning and his obituary.
- Horning, Walter Harold, 1892-1961 (Person)
Conditions Governing Access note
Collection is open to the public. Collection must be used in Special Collections and University Archives Reading Room. Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives in advance of your visit to allow for transportation time.
Conditions Governing Use note
Property rights reside with Special Collections and University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections and University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
Walter Harold Horning lived from 1892 to August 5, 1961. He graduated from Pennsylvania State College and the University of California. For several years Horning was a professor at Pennsylvania State and Iowa State School of Forestry.
Horning worked extensively on the California and Oregon Land Grant. In 1936, Horning worked on the public hearing in Portland, Oregon, for the management of the California and Oregon Land Grant by taking notes and statements from foresters. After this trial he worked with Rufus G. Poole, a legislative attorney to Secretary of the Interior Ickes, to draft legislation that outlined sustained yield forestry management for the California and Oregon Land Grant. The bill became law on August 28, 1937. In the following years, Horning wrote the management plan for the forest. In 1946, Horning became the first Bureau of Land Management (BLM) Regional Administrator in the Pacific Northwest. Later he became the Chief Forester for the BLM and moved to Washington, D. C.
3.5 linear feet (7 containers)
Language of Materials
Walter Harold Horning was the chief forester for the Bureau of Land Management, adviser for legislation to control Oregon and California revested lands, proponent of Mt. Olympus National Park and Department of Conservation. The collection consists of Horning's school notes and his work papers, including correspondence, reports, field notes, and photographs.
Collection is organized into the following series: Series I. CorrespondenceSeries II. Subject FilesSeries III. ReportsSeries IV. Work Related ManuscriptsSeries V. Miscellaneous Work PapersSeries VI. School WorkSeries VII. Miscellaneous
General Physical Description note
Collection processed by staff.
This finding aid may be updated periodically to account for new acquisitions to the collection and/or revisions in arrangement and description.
- Correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Foresters -- Northwest, Pacific Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Forestry and Forestry Products Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Forests and forestry -- Northwest, Pacific Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Horning, Walter Harold, 1892-1961
- Olympic National Park (Wash.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Oregon Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Oregon and California Land Grant Subject Source: Local sources
- Photographs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Politics and Politicians Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Public lands -- California Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Public lands -- Oregon Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Railroad land grants -- California Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Railroad land grants -- Oregon Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Transportation Subject Source: Archiveswest
- United States. Bureau of Land Management
- Guide to the Walter Harold Horning Papers
- Complete Description
- Finding aid prepared by Vida Germano
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.
- Funding for encoding this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Endowment for the Humanities.
Part of the University of Oregon Libraries, Special Collections and University Archives Repository
1299 University of Oregon
Eugene OR 97403-1299 USA