Scope and Contents
The collection (1917-1934) contains personal and professional correspondence, and manuscripts.
There are over 550 letters in the collection.
Many of the letters are to or from faculty members or former journalism students.
Major correspondents are: Elbert Bede, Robert Ormond Case, Ralph D. Casey, Marion L. Davis (Mrs. H. L. Davis), Colin V. Dyment, Allen Eaton, John DeWitt Gilbert, Ernest Haycox, John Leader, Edison Marshall, Harold Newton, Joseph Schafer, Reginald Sweetland.
Correspondence is arranged alphabetically by name, and outgoing and incoming letters are mixed together.
There are also a few loose manuscripts; one is the text of a roast of Dean Allen.
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to the public. Collection must be used in Special Collections and University Archives Reading Room. Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives in advance of your visit to allow for transportation time.
Conditions Governing Use
Property rights reside with Special Collections and University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections and University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
Biographical / Historical
Eric W. Allen (1879-1944) was the first Dean of the School of Journalism, University of Oregon, and held that post from 1916 to his death in 1944.
1 linear feet (2 containers) : 2 manuscript boxes
Language of Materials
Eric W. Allen (1879-1944 ) was the first Dean of the School of Journalism, University of Oregon, and held that post from 1916 to his death in 1944. The collection (1917-1934) contains personal and professional correspondence, and a few manuscripts.
Material within this collection is minimally arranged. Any arrangement is either derived from the records' creators or custodians or from staff at the time of initial processing. It may be necessary to look in multiple places for the same types of materials.
Collection processed by staff.
This finding aid may be updated periodically to account for new acquisitions to the collection and/or revisions in arrangement and description.
This collection received a basic level of processing including minimal organization and rehousing.
Description information is drawn in part from information supplied with the collection and initial surveys of the contents.
- Bede, Elbert, 1881-
- Case, Robert Ormond, 1895-1964
- Casey, Ralph D. (Ralph Droz), 1890-
- Correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Dyment, Colin V.
- Eaton, Allen H. (Allen Hendershott), 1878-1962
- Education, Higher -- Oregon -- Eugene Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Gilbert, DeWitt, 1896-1981
- Haycox, Ernest, 1899-1950
- Journalism Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Journalism -- Study and teaching (Higher) -- Oregon -- Eugene Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Manuscripts for publication Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Marshall, Edison, 1894-1967
- Oregon Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Schafer, Joseph, 1867-1941
- Universities and colleges -- Oregon -- Eugene Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- University of Oregon -- Faculty -- Students
- University of Oregon. School of Journalism
- Guide to the Eric William Allen Papers
- Complete Description
- Tanya Parlet.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.
- Funding for production of this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC).