Scope and Contents
The collection (1860-1869) consists of four volumes.
The three volume diary describes life on a farm.
The John Brothers account book is from 1860 to 1863.
- John, David (Blacksmith) (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to the public. Collection must be used in Special Collections and University Archives Reading Room. Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives in advance of your visit to allow for transportation time.
Conditions Governing Use
Property rights reside with Special Collections and University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections and University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
Biographical / Historical
David John was a pioneer of Williamsburg, Oregon. He worked as a blacksmith, and was a partner in John Brothers blacksmith firm of Williamsburg.
0.5 linear feet (1 container)
Language of Materials
David John was a pioneer of Williamsburg, Oregon, and was a partner in the John Brothers blacksmith firm of Williamsburg. The collection (1860-1869) contains a diary, and an account book for John Brothers.
Material within this collection is minimally arranged. Any arrangement is either derived from the records' creators or custodians or from staff at the time of initial processing. It may be necessary to look in multiple places for the same types of materials.
1 legal manuscript box.
Collection processed by staff.
This finding aid may be updated periodically to account for new acquisitions to the collection and/or revisions in arrangement and description.
This collection received a basic level of processing including minimal organization and rehousing.
Description information is drawn in part from information supplied with the collection and initial surveys of the contents.
- Account books Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Blacksmiths -- Oregon -- Josephine County Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Diaries Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Farm life -- Oregon -- Josephine County Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Farmers -- Oregon -- Josephine County Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- John Brothers
- Oregon Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Pioneers -- Oregon -- Josephine County Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Williamsburg (Or.) Subject Source: Local sources
- Guide to the David John Diary and Account Book
- Complete Description
- Tanya Parlet
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.
- Funding for production of this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC).