Frederick Wallace Wilson papers
Scope and Contents
The papers include correspondence, a letterpress copybook, legal papers, a manuscript, photographs, addresses and publications by Wilson as well as personal correspondence of Joseph G. Wilson, and certificates of Elizabeth Millar Wilson.
The Frederick Wallace Wilson correspondence is from 1894-1953 and includes two reminiscent letters from James K. Kelly (1894; 1919). There are also legal papers, addresses, a draft of Wilson's pamphlet, Lucre of the River (The Dalles, 1938), and a letterpress copybook of correspondence, contacts and financial transactions. A manuscript titled "History of Presbyterian Churches of Albany" (Oregon) by Wilson is also included in the collection.
The Joseph G. Wilson correspondence is from 1852-1873. There is also a folder of Elizabeth Millar Wilson material consisting of postmistress certificates.
Photographs include prints and negatives of Columbia River steamboats, the Cascades before Bonneville Dam was built, Portland buildings including schools and churches, downtown Portland and Portland harbor, and a series of photographs that document a celebration (in Molalla,Oregon) of the opening of the Portland, Eugene, and Eastern Railroad.
- Wilson, Frederick Wallace, 1872-1955 (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to the public. Collection must be used in Special Collections and University Archives Reading Room. Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives in advance of your visit to allow for transportation time. Glass plate negatives and lantern slides are restricted due to the fragility of the format. All decisions regarding use will be at the discretion of the curator for visual materials.
Conditions Governing Use
Property rights reside with Special Collections and University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections and University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
Biographical / Historical
Frederick Wallace Wilson (1872-1954) was born in College Hill, Ohio, to Joseph Gardner Wilson and Elizabeth Millar Wilson. He was educated at Whitman College and Johns Hopkins University. He became an attorney and practiced in The Dalles, Oregon. In 1917 Wilson was appointed Circuit Court Judge of the 7th Judicial District of Oregon, serving until 1948. He also researched and published articles and a pamphlet on the history of The Dalles region and the Columbia River. Wilson's father, Joseph Gardner Wilson (1830-1873) was an Oregon Supreme Court Justice.
2 linear feet (4 containers) : 1 manuscript box; Photoboxes: 2 small boxes, and 1 8x10 flat box
Language of Materials
Frederick Wallace Wilson (1872-1955) was an attorney and Circuit Court Judge in The Dalles, Oregon. The papers include correspondence, a letterpress copybook, legal papers, a manuscript, photographs, addresses and publications by Wilson as well as personal correspondence of Joseph G. Wilson, and certificates of Elizabeth Millar Wilson.
Collection processed by staff; photographs processed by Megan Dazey.
This finding aid may be updated periodically to account for new acquisitions to the collection and/or revisions in arrangement and description.
This collection may have received a basic level of processing including some organization and rehousing. The initial accession(s) were processed and arranged as a whole and are reflected in the series arrangement. Subsequent accession(s) for the collection have not been merged or organized as a whole. Each subsequent accession is described separately.
Description information is drawn in part from information supplied with the collection and initial surveys of the contents. Folder titles are based on those created by the creators or previous custodians. Titles have not all been verified against the contents of the folders. In some cases, staff supplied folder titles during initial processing.
- Columbia River -- Photographs Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Dalles (Or.) -- History Subject Source: Lcnaf
- Judges -- Oregon Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Kelly, J. K. (James Kerr), 1819-1903
- Lawyers -- Oregon -- Dalles Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Legal documents Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Manuscripts for publication Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Negatives Subject Source: TGM II, Genre and physical characteristic terms
- Oregon -- Photographs Subject Source: Lcnaf
- Photographic prints Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Photographs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Portland (Or.) -- Photographs Subject Source: Lcnaf
- Postmasters -- Oregon -- Dalles Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Presbyterian Church -- Oregon -- Albany Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Religion Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Wilson, Elizabeth Millar, 1830-1913
- Wilson, Frederick Wallace, 1872-1955
- Wilson, Frederick Wallace, 1872-1955
- Wilson, Joseph Gardner, 1826-1873
- Guide to the Frederick Wallace Wilson Papers
- Complete Description
- Finding aid prepared by University of Oregon Libraries, Archivists' Toolkit Project Team and Tanya Parlet.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English
- Funding for production of this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC).
Part of the University of Oregon Libraries, Special Collections and University Archives Repository
1299 University of Oregon
Eugene OR 97403-1299 USA