Scope and Contents
The collection consists of Cyrus Locey's diary. The diary, covering the period from 1859-1911, contains over 2,000 pages with daily entries of about one or two paragraphs concerning his day-to-day life. The diary spans several volumes, and is written in the third person.
- circa 1859-1911
- Locey, Cyrus T., 1835-1922 (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to the public. Collection must be used in Special Collections and University Archives Reading Room. Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives in advance of your visit to allow for transportation time.
Conditions Governing Use
Property rights reside with Special Collections and University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections and University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
Biographical / Historical
Cyrus T. Locey (1835-1920) was a rancher and farmer in eastern Oregon, often referred to as "the Father of Malheur Country." His numerous civic activities included starting the first Sunday School in Malheur County, taking the 1880 and 1890 Baker/Malheur county census, Justice of the Peace, Notary Public, school teacher, secretary of the Grange, election clerk, Malheur County commissioner, and weather recorder for the U.S. Weather Bureau.
1 linear feet (2 containers) : 2 manuscript boxes
Language of Materials
Cyrus T. Locey (1835-) was a rancher and farmer in eastern Oregon and is often referred to as "the Father of Malheur Country." The collection includes Locey's 2,000 paged diary dating from 1859-1911.
Collection processed by staff.
This finding aid may be updated periodically to account for new acquisitions to the collection and/or revisions in arrangement and description.
This collection received a basic level of processing including minimal organization and rehousing.
Description information is drawn in part from information supplied with the collection and initial surveys of the contents.
- Diaries Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Frontier and pioneer life Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Locey, Cyrus T., 1835-1922
- Malheur County (Or.) Subject Source: Lcnaf
- Oregon Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Pioneers -- Oregon -- Malheur County Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Guide to the Cyrus T. Locey Diary
- Preliminary Description
- Finding aid prepared by University of Oregon Libraries, Archivists' Toolkit Project Team and Jenn Newby
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English