Scope and Contents
The collection (1922-1959) contains eighty-six "pilot books" kept by Gildez that include travel itineraries and notes, captain's names, and draft and boarding information for boats piloted by Gildez on the Columbia River.
- Gildez, George F., 1885-1961 (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to the public. Collection must be used in Special Collections and University Archives Reading Room. Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives in advance of your visit to allow for transportation time.
Conditions Governing Use
Property rights reside with Special Collections and University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections and University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
0.5 linear feet (1 container)
Language of Materials
G. F. Gildez was a Columbia River boat pilot. The collection (1922-1959) contains eighty-six "pilot books" kept by Gildez.
1 clamshell box.
Collection processed by staff in the 1970s, and Tanya Parlet, 2013.
This finding aid may be updated periodically to account for new acquisitions to the collection and/or revisions in arrangement and description.
This collection received a basic level of processing including minimal to no organization and rehousing.
Description information is drawn in part from information supplied with the collection and initial surveys of the contents.
- Boaters (Persons) -- Columbia River Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Columbia River -- Navigation -- History -- 20th century Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Gildez, George F., 1885-1961
- Oregon Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Sailors -- Columbia River Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Ships' logs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Guide to the George F. Gildez Pilot Books
- Complete Description
- Tanya Parlet
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.
- Funding for production of this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC).