Scope and Contents note
The collection consists mainly of letters, 1897-1911. They are to and from Mary McAlister of Eugene, Oregon. There are also two diary volumes, May 14, 1898-August 7, 1899, concerning the Philippines campaign, and a collection of photographs and mementoes of the war.
- Gamber, John Arthur (Person)
Conditions Governing Access note
Collection is open to the public. Collection must be used in Special Collections and University Archives Reading Room. Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives in advance of your visit to allow for transportation time.
Conditions Governing Use note
Property rights reside with Special Collections and University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections and University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
John Arthur Gamber was from Lacomb, Oregon. From 1898-1899 he was a private in Company I, 2nd Oregon Volunteer Infantry, in the Philippine Islands. He attended the University of Oregon, 1900-1902, and later worked as a salesman. He married Mary McAlister of Eugene, Oregon, in 1904.
1.5 linear feet (3 containers)
Language of Materials
John Arthur Gamber was an Oregonian who participated in the Spanish American War. The collection comprises correspondence with Mary McAlister, whom Gamber later married in 1904, as well as diaries, photographs, and mementoes relating to the Philippines Campaign during the Spanish American War.
Processing Information note
Collection processed by processing staff.
This finding aid may be updated periodically to account for new acquisitions to the collection and/or revisions in arrangement and description.
- Correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Diaries Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Eugene Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Military Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Photographs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Soldiers -- United States -- Correspondence Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Spanish-American War, 1898 -- Campaigns -- Philippines Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Guide to the John Gamber papers
- Complete Description
- Finding aid prepared by processing staff.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.