Scope and Contents
The papers include a carbon manuscript of Children of the Covered Wagon (Crowell, 1934) and three original illustrations for the book by Robert Kuhn. There are also manuscripts of poems and letters from readers.
- ca. 1934-1940
- Carr, Mary Jane, 1895-1988 (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to the public. Collection must be used in Special Collections and University Archives Reading Room. Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives in advance of your visit to allow for transportation time.
Conditions Governing Use
Property rights reside with Special Collections and University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections and University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
Biographical / Historical
Mary Jane Carr (1895-1988) was born in St. Mary's, Minnesota, and educated at Marylhurst College in Oregon. She was associate editor of the Catholic Sentinel and feature writer for the Portland Oregonian.
0.25 linear feet (1 container)
Language of Materials
Collection comprises papers of American author Mary Jane Carr, and includes draft manuscripts of two books; proofs, illustrations by Robert Kuhn, and correspondence relating to the books, including material from Walt Disney Productions; two puppet plays by Carr; poems; engraving plates; fan letters; and miscellaneous materials.
Collection is organized into the following series: Book manuscriptsPlaysPoemsIllustrated poems published in the Portland (OR) Oregonian (Sunday edition)Engraving platesFan lettersMiscellany
Collection processed by staff.
This finding aid may be updated periodically to account for new acquisitions to the collection and/or revisions in arrangement and description.
- Book illustrations Subject Source: TGM II, Genre and physical characteristic terms
- Carr, Mary Jane, 1895-1988
- Carr, Mary Jane, 1895-1988
- Children and Youth Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Kuhn, Bob
- Literature Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Manuscripts for publication Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Women Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Women authors, American -- 20th century Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Young adult literature, American -- Authorship Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Guide to the Mary Jane Carr papers
- Complete Description
- Finding aid prepared by processing staff
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.
- Funding for encoding this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Endowment for the Humanities.