Jacob A. Bradford papers
Scope and Contents
The collection (1861-1864) contains diaries, correspondence, miscellaneous Bradford family documents, and Civil War era newspapers.
There are six volumes of diaries that were kept during the time from when he was a soldier. The diaries also include information about his personal accounts.
There are over 140 letters, and most are written to his wife in Greenville, Michigan.
Miscellaneous Bradford family documents are dated from 1865 to 1908.
The collection also includes copies of the following newspapers: Mobile Evening News (July 1, 1862), Mobile Advertisers and Register (July 7, 1862), and The Sunday Press (Nashville, TN, Aug. 2, 1863).
- Bradford, Jacob A. (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to the public. Collection must be used in Special Collections and University Archives Reading Room. Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives in advance of your visit to allow for transportation time.
Conditions Governing Use
Property rights reside with Special Collections and University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections and University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
0.5 linear feet (1 container) : 1 manuscript box
Language of Materials
Jacob A. Bradford was an enlisted man in Company F, 2d Regiment, Michigan Volunteer Cavalry during the American Civil War. The collection (1861-1864) contains diaries, correspondence, miscellaneous Bradford family documents, and Civil War era newspapers.
Material within this collection is minimally arranged. Any arrangement is either derived from the records' creators or custodians or from staff at the time of initial processing. It may be necessary to look in multiple places for the same types of materials.
Collection processed by staff, 1995.
This finding aid may be updated periodically to account for new acquisitions to the collection and/or revisions in arrangement and description.
This collection received a basic level of processing including minimal organization and rehousing.
Description information is drawn in part from information supplied with the collection and initial surveys of the contents.
- Bradford, Jacob A.
- Bradford, Jacob A.
- Correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Diaries Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Military Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Newspapers Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Soldiers -- United States -- Correspondence Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Soldiers -- United States -- Diaries Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Personal narratives Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States. Army. Michigan Cavalry Regiment, 2nd (1861-1865). Company F
- Guide to the Jacob A. Bradford Papers
- Complete Description
- Tanya Parlet.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.
- Funding for production of this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC).
Part of the University of Oregon Libraries, Special Collections and University Archives Repository
1299 University of Oregon
Eugene OR 97403-1299 USA