Scope and Contents note
The collection contains letters collected by Beattie as source material for his book, Marsden of Alaska (NY, 1955). Other correspondence and documents relate to Metlakahtla Colony affairs, 1909-1939. Correspondents include Edward Marsden, Samuel Marsden, William Duncan, Sheldon Jackson, William T. Lopp, and Charles D. Jones. Also included in the collection are various newspapers and pamphlets on Alaska; materials on Edward Marsden; photographs of Alaska and Marsden; and materials on the University of Oregon Summer school in Alaska, 1929-1931.
- Beattie, William Gilbert (Person)
Conditions Governing Access note
Collection is open to the public. Collection must be used in Special Collections and University Archives Reading Room. Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives in advance of your visit to allow for transportation time.
Conditions Governing Use note
Property rights reside with Special Collections and University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections and University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
William Gilbert Beattie was a teacher and district superintendent of schools in Alaska, 1905-1919. He was associated with the Metlakhtla Colony from 1910, and was well acquainted with Edward Marsden.
1 linear feet (2 containers)
Language of Materials
William Gilbert Beattie was a teacher and district superintendent of schools in Alaska, 1905-1919. He was associated with the Metlakhtla Colony from 1910, and was well acquainted with Edward Marsden. The collection contains correspondence, newspapers, pamphlets, photographs and other materials relating to Beattie's career in Alaska.
Collection is organized into the following series: Metlakhtla Colony Correspondence and Documents; Correspondence and documents used in Marsden of Alaska; Edward Marsden; Alaska; University of Oregon Alaska Summer School Materials; Thesis : Trials of the Metlakatla Christian Mission, by Raymond L. Wotring; and Photographs of Alaska and Edward Marsden.
Collection processed by staff.
This finding aid may be updated periodically to account for new acquisitions to the collection and/or revisions in arrangement and description.
- Alaska Subject Source: Local sources
- Alaska -- Photographs Subject Source: Lcnaf
- Colleges and Universities Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Duncan, William, 1832-1918
- Jackson, Sheldon, 1834-1909
- Jones, Charles D., 1875-1963
- Lopp, William Thomas, 1864-1939
- Marsden, Edward, 1869-1932
- Marsden, Samuel, 1765-1838
- Metlakatla (Alaska) Subject Source: Lcnaf
- Photographs Subject Source: Archiveswest
- School superintendents -- Alaska Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Summer schools -- Alaska Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Teachers -- Alaska Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Guide to the William Gilbert Beattie papers
- Complete Description
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Funding for encoding this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Endowment for the Humanities.