Scope and Contents
The collection contains correspondence, 1889-1916, mainly from former students and official letters concerning her work at the University of Oregon and Mills College. There are also eight notebooks (class records and syllabi), addresses, programs of various University of Oregon functions, and two folders of miscellaneous material relating to the University of Oregon.
- Carson, Luella Clay, 1856-1938 (Person)
Conditions Governing Access note
Collection is open to the public. Collection must be used in Special Collections and University Archives Reading Room. Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives in advance of your visit to allow for transportation time.
Conditions Governing Use note
Property rights reside with Special Collections and University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections and University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
Biographical / Historical
Luella Clay Carson (1856-1938) was a professor of rhetoric at the University of Oregon from 1888 to 1909. She was president of Mills College, Oakland, California, 1909-1913.
1.5 linear feet (1 container ) : 1 record storage box
Language of Materials
Luella Clay Carson (1856-1938) was a professor at the University of Oregon and, later, university president at Mills College in Oakland, California. The collection consists of correspondence and documents related to both universities.
Collection is organized into the following series: I. Correspondence; II. Notebooks; III. Class records, University of Oregon; Correspondence is arranged chronologically.
Processing Information note
Collection is processed. Revisions completed by Emily Haskins, 2020.
- Colleges and Universities Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Mills College
- Rhetoric -- Study and teaching (Higher) -- Oregon -- Eugene Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Universities and colleges -- Administration. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- University of Oregon
- Guide to the Luella Clay Carson papers
- Revise Description
- Finding aid prepared by University of Oregon Libraries, Archivists' Toolkit Project Team. Revised by Emily Haskins.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English