Scope and Contents
The collection contains files of correspondence, meeting minutes, and reports on the Central Inspection Board, American Psychiatric Association; Morningside Hospital, Portland, Oregon; North Pacific Society of Neurology and Psychiatry; and Portland Psychiatrists in Private Practice (organization). There is also correspondence about the beginnings of the Portland Chamber Orchestra Association.
- Burkes, DeWitt C. (Creator, Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to the public. Collection must be used in Special Collections and University Archives Reading Room. Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives in advance of your visit to allow for transportation time.
Conditions Governing Use
Property rights reside with Special Collections and University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections and University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
Biographical / Historical
Dewitt C. Burkes was a psychiatrist who practiced in Portland, Oregon. He was a member of the American Psychiatric Association and served on its governing council in 1952.
1.5 linear feet (3 containers)
Language of Materials
Author was a psychiatrist. Major files deal with the Central Inspection Board, American Psychiatric Association (1954-1957); Morningside Hospital, Portland, Oregon (minutes of staff meetings, 1955-1958); North Pacific Society of Neurology and Psychiatry (1940-1950); Portland Psychiatrists in Private Practice (organization papers, 1955-1957). There is also correspondence about the beginnings of the Portland Chamber Orchestra Association (1947-1949).
3 containers, including about 600 letters
Collection is processed.
This finding aid may be updated periodically to account for new acquisitions to the collection and/or revisions in arrangement and description.
- American Psychiatric Association. Central Inspection Board
- Civic Activism Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Mental Health Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Morningside Hospital (Portland, Or.)
- North Pacific Society of Neurology and Psychiatry
- Portland Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Portland Chamber Orchestra Association
- Portland Psychiatrists in Private Practice
- Psychiatrists -- Oregon -- Portland Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Psychiatrists -- United States -- Correspondence Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- University of Oregon. Medical School
- Guide to the DeWitt C. Burkes papers
- Complete Description
- Finding aid prepared by University of Oregon Libraries, Archivists' Toolkit Project Team
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.