Scope and Contents note
The collection contains diaries, photographs, speeches, and reports. The diaries begin with the boyhood activities of Ames and describe his school and college life, his early forestry experiences, and his war service. The photographs are of France in 1918-1919, especially the 20th Engineers. A collection of speeches and reports accompanies the diaries.
- Ames, Fred Elijah, 1880-1957 (Person)
Conditions Governing Access note
Collection is open to the public. Collection must be used in Special Collections and University Archives Reading Room. Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives in advance of your visit to allow for transportation time.
Conditions Governing Use note
Property rights reside with Special Collections and University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections and University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
Fred Elijah Ames was born in Spencer, Massachusetts in 1880. He graduated from Harvard in 1903, and from Yale Forestry School in 1906. From 1908 to 1942 he was chief of silviculture and assistant regional forester in Oregon. During World War I he was captain, 20th Company, 20th Engineers. He died in 1957.
1 linear feet (2 containers) : 2 manuscript boxes
Language of Materials
Fred Elijah Ames was a forester in Oregon. The collection contains his diaries, photographs, and reports.
Collection is organized into the following series: Series I. Diaries; Series II. Photograph albums; Series III. Papers.
Collection processed by staff.
This finding aid may be updated periodically to account for new acquisitions to the collection and/or revisions in arrangement and description.
- Colleges and Universities Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Diaries Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Foresters -- Oregon Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Forestry and Forestry Products Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Forests and forestry -- Oregon Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- France -- Photographs Subject Source: Lcnaf
- Military Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Photographs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- United States. Army
- United States. Forest Service -- Officials and employees
- Guide to the Fred Elijah Ames papers
- Complete Description
- Vida Germano
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.
- Funding for encoding this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Endowment for the Humanities.