Scope and Contents
The manuscripts consist of speeches and reports to the Pacific Logging Congress, a few short stories, a novel of the fur trade, "The Beaver Hat," and a history of the lumber industry in the United States, "Mankind and the Forests."
- circa 1876-1961
- Whisnant, Arch (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to the public. Collection must be used in Special Collections and University Archives Reading Room. Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives in advance of your visit to allow for transportation time.
Conditions Governing Use
Property rights reside with Special Collections and University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections and University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
Biographical / Historical
Archibald McNeill Whisnant (1876-1961) was a journalist and publicist who wrote extensively on the Pacific Northmest timber industry. He served as secretary of the Pacific Logging Congress.
1.5 linear feet (1 container) : 1 record storage box
Language of Materials
Archibald McNeill Whisnant was a journalist and publicist. The manuscripts consist of speeches and reports to the Pacific Logging Congress, a few short stories, a novel of the fur trade, "The Beaver Hat," and a history of the lumber industry in the United States, "Mankind and the Forests."Archibald McNeill Whisnant was a newspaperman and publicist.
Collection is organized into the following series: Early Writings, "The Beaver Hat," "Man Kind and the Forest," and Miscellaneous Writings.
Material within this collection is minimally arranged. Any arrangement is either derived from the records' creators or custodians or from staff at the time of initial processing. It may be necessary to look in multiple places for the same types of materials.
Collection processed by Staff.
This collection received a basic level of processing including minimal organization and rehousing.
Description information is drawn in part from information supplied with the collection and initial surveys of the contents. Folder titles are based on those created by the creators or previous custodians. Titles have not all been verified against the contents of the folders. In some cases, staff supplied folder titles during initial processing.
- Forest products industry -- Northwest, Pacific Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Fur trade Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Journalism Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Journalists -- Northwest, Pacific Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Lumber trade -- Northwest, Pacific Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Manuscripts for publication Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Pacific Logging Congress
- Guide to the Archibald McNeill Whisnant manuscripts
- Complete Description
- Finding aid prepared by University of Oregon Libraries, Archivists' Toolkit Project Team and Jenn Newby
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English