Charles Claudius Rarick papers
Scope and Contents
The collection contains an autobiography and sermons, including sermon notes, drafts, and journals.
In his manuscript autobiography Rarick describes how he came to join the Methodist Church, his experiences as a travelling minister, and how difficult it was to convince frontiersmen that sobriety and peaceable behavior were becoming to Christians. The autobiography is both reflective and informative.
- Rarick, Charles Claudius, 1870-1960 (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to the public. Collection must be used in Special Collections and University Archives Reading Room. Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives in advance of your visit to allow for transportation time.
Conditions Governing Use
Property rights reside with Special Collections and University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections and University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
Biographical / Historical
Reverend Charles Claudius Rarick (1870-1960) was raised in Arkansas City, Kansas and learned the blacksmith trade from his father. He joined the Methodist Church and was inclined toward the ministry. He was educated at Southwest Kansas College, Winfield, Kansas. Before his college years and after graduation he served congregations in Kansas, Oklahoma Territory, Colorado, and Oregon. Rarick participated in the Cherokee Strip land rush.
4 linear feet (8 containers)
Language of Materials
Charles Claudius Rarick (1870-1960) was raised in Kansas, learned the blacksmith trade from his father, and became a Methodist preacher, serving congregations in Kansas, Oklahoma Territory, Colorado, and Oregon. The collection contains an autobiography and sermons, including sermon notes, drafts, and journals.
Material within this collection is minimally arranged. Any arrangement is either derived from the records' creators or custodians or from staff at the time of initial processing. It may be necessary to look in multiple places for the same types of materials
Collection processed by staff.
This finding aid may be updated periodically to account for new acquisitions to the collection and/or revisions in arrangement and description.
This collection received a basic level of processing including minimal organization and rehousing.
Description information is drawn in part from information supplied with the collection and initial surveys of the contents.
- Autobiographies Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Methodist Episcopal Church--Illinois--Urbana--Clergy
- Methodist Episcopal Church--Oregon
- Pioneers -- Oregon Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Rarick, Charles Claudius, 1870-1960
- Religion Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Sermons Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Guide to the Charles Claudius Rarick Papers
- Complete Description
- Tanya Parlet.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English
- Funding for production of this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC).