Edwin B. Aldrich correspondence
Scope and Contents
The collection contains correspondence related to newspaper business, public affairs, political and personal concerns and includes letters exchanged with Oregon politicians and public figures.
The correspondence reflects letters received and sent from 1906-1934.
The correspondence is arranged alphabetically by sender's last name, organizational or subject title. Among the more important letter groups are those that related to Oregon congressmen: Charles McNary, George Chamberlain, Nicholas Sinnot, and Frederick Steiwer.
Other public figures include: Oswald West, Robert Sawyer, Marshall N. Dana, and William G. McAdoo.
Other major correspondents are: Robert R. Butler, Henry L. Corbett, John E. Lathrop, William J. Kerr, Fred Lockley, John P. Rusk, Charles J. Smith, Donald Sterling, and John W. Summers.
An important subject title represented in the correspondence deals with Columbia River development.
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to the public. Collection must be used in Special Collections and University Archives Reading Room. Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives in advance of your visit to allow for transportation time.
Conditions Governing Use
Property rights reside with Special Collections and University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections and University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
Biographical / Historical
Edwin B. Aldrich (1879-1950) graduated from Oregon State College. He became a newspaper editor and publisher and was active in public affairs in Oregon all his adult life. He was associated with the East Oregonian (in Pendleton) from 1905.
1 linear feet (2 containers) : 2 manuscript boxes
Language of Materials
Edwin B. Aldrich (1879-1950) became a newspaper editor and publisher with the East Oregonian (in Pendleton) and was active is public affairs in Oregon all his adult life. The collection contains correspondence related to newspaper business, public affairs, political and personal concerns and includes letters exchanged with Oregon politicians and public figures.
Material within this collection is minimally arranged. Any arrangement is either derived from the records' creators or custodians or from staff at the time of initial processing. It may be necessary to look in multiple places for the same types of materials.
Other Finding Aids
Paper finding aid with additional information is available in Special Collections & University Archives.
Collection processed by staff, 1970s.
This finding aid may be updated periodically to account for new acquisitions to the collection and/or revisions in arrangement and description.
This collection received a basic level of processing including minimal organization and rehousing.
Description information is drawn in part from information supplied with the collection and initial surveys of the contents.
- Chamberlain, George E. (George Earle), 1854-1928
- Corbett, Henry L., 1881-1957
- Correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Dana, Marshall N. (Marshall Newport), 1885-1966
- East Oregonian Publishing Co.
- Kerr, William Jasper, 1863-1947
- Lockley, Fred, 1871-1958
- McAdoo, W. G. (William Gibbs), 1863-1941
- McNary, Charles Linza, 1874-1944
- Newspaper editors -- Oregon -- Pendleton -- Correspondence Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Newspaper publishing -- Oregon -- Pendleton Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Oregon Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Oregon -- Politics and government -- 1859-1950 Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Pendleton (Or.) -- History Subject Source: Lcnaf
- Politicians -- Oregon -- Correspondence Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Sawyer, Robert W. (Robert William), 1880-1959
- Sinnott, N. J. (Nicholas John), 1870-1929
- Steiwer, Frederick, 1883-1939
- Water resources development -- Columbia River Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- West, Oswald, 1873-1960
- Guide to the Edwin B. Aldrich correspondence
- Complete Description
- Tanya Parlet.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.
- Funding for production of this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC).
Part of the University of Oregon Libraries, Special Collections and University Archives Repository
1299 University of Oregon
Eugene OR 97403-1299 USA