Scope and Contents
historical data on Oregon street lighting;
minutes of the Oregon Technical Council;
Parkrose District street lighting report;
reports on lighting in/at McMinnville, Multnomah Falls, and Portland Bridges;
Industrial Lighting Code;
PG and E company information;
work contracts, correspondence, minutes, and speeches;
and photographs of street and building/venue lighting around Portland, and the rest of Oregon, especially bridges and the Capitol Building.
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to the public. Collection must be used in Special Collections and University Archives Reading Room. Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives in advance of your visit to allow for transportation time.
Conditions Governing Use
Property rights reside with Special Collections and University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections and University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
Biographical / Historical
Francis Hayes Murphy (1878-1968) was educated at the University of Wisconsin and became an electrical engineer.
He first worked in Wisconsin, where he organized a telephone company and installed a telephone exchange for Cambridge, Wisconsin. Later he came to Oregon and worked for the Portland Railway Light and Power Company.
He also wrote articles for technical publications, and authored papers for technical organizations. He served as Chairman of the Board of Appeals, Electric Division, City of Portland.
[Source: John W. Leonard Corporation. "Who's who in Engineering: v. 1." January 1922.]
1.5 linear feet (3 containers) : 3 manuscript boxes
Language of Materials
Francis Hayes Murphy (1878-1968) became an electrical engineer; he worked first in Wisconsin and later in Oregon, where he was employed for the Portland Railway Light and Power Company. The collection (1920-1940) includes minutes, reports, contracts, codes, photographs, and other historical data and documents on electric lighting in Oregon.
Material within this collection may have little to no intellectual or physical arrangement. Any arrangement may have derived from the records' creators or custodians. It may be necessary to look in multiple places for the same types of materials.
Collection processed by Tanya Parlet, 2013.
This finding aid may be updated periodically to account for new acquisitions to the collection and/or revisions in arrangement and description.
This collection received a basic level of processing including minimal to no organization and rehousing.
Description information is drawn in part from information supplied with the collection and initial surveys of the contents.
- Bridges -- Lighting -- Oregon Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Contracts Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Electric lighting -- Oregon Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Electrical engineers -- Oregon Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Lighting -- Oregon -- Portland Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Municipal lighting -- Oregon Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Murphy, Francis Hayes, 1878-1968
- Oregon Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Photographs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Portland General Electric Company
- Portland Railway, Light, and Power Company
- Reports Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Street lighting -- Oregon Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Guide to the Francis Hayes Murphy Papers
- Complete Description
- Tanya Parlet.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.
- Funding for production of this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC).