Ellis Fuller Lawrence papers
Scope and Contents
Collection comprises the papers of American architect Ellis F. Lawrence, including correspondence, architectural drawings, and photographs relating to projects undertaken by Lawrence & Holford, or McNaughton, Raymond & Lawrence, mainly in Oregon and Washington, from 1908 to 1958. Residential and public architecture projects in the collection including parks, churches and temples, and several University of Oregon buildings. Collection also includes personal and professional correspondence, articles and speeches, and other documents concerning architectural matters in general. Correspondence totals about 4,000 letters, the bulk of which date from 1909 to 1958. Records and correspondence by Fuller as Dean of the School of Architecture at the University of Oregon are not included in this collection.
Photograph series consists of portraits of Lawrence and documentation for 512 architectural projects undertaken by Lawrence & Holford, or McNaughton, Raymond & Lawrence, mainly in Oregon and Washington, from 1909 to 1929.
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to the public. Collection must be used in Special Collections and University Archives Reading Room. Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives in advance of your visit to allow for transportation time.
Conditions Governing Use
Property rights reside with Special Collections and University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections and University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
Biographical / Historical
Ellis Fuller Lawrence (November 13, 1879–February 27, 1946) was an American architect, working primarily in the U.S. state of Oregon. Ellis F. Lawrence was born in Malden, Massachusetts and received both his bachelor's and master's degrees at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, the first school of architecture in the United States. After graduation in 1902, Lawrence worked for several architectural firms then traveled in Europe.
In 1906 he planned to move to San Francisco, but after the 1906 San Francisco earthquake he decided to settle in Portland, Oregon instead. He lived in Portland the rest of his life and commuted to his work in Eugene. He was a member of the architecture firm Lawrence, Holford, and Allyn.
In 1914, he helped found and was the first dean of the University of Oregon's School of Architecture and Allied Arts. Lawrence also planned the UO campus and designed many campus buildings, including the Knight Library and the Museum of Art. Lawrence Hall on the university campus is named in his honor. His body of work includes churches, residences, commercial and industrial buildings, funerary buildings, multi-family residences and public buildings.
11 linear feet
Language of Materials
Ellis F. Lawrence was an American architect. Conllection includes correspondence, architectural drawings, and photographs relating to projects undertaken by Lawrence & Holford, or McNaughton, Raymond & Lawrence, mainly in Oregon and Washington, from 1909 to 1924.
Other Finding Aids
Paper finding aid with additional information available in Special Collections & University Archives.
Existence and Location of Copies
Selected items are available online in the Ellis Fuller Lawrence papers, 1909-1929 in Oregon Digital.
22 containers, 9 flat files of architectural drawings, 1 oversize file
Collection processed by staff and updated in 2015 by Thomas Beech.
This finding aid may be updated periodically to account for new acquisitions to the collection and/or revisions in arrangement and description.
- Architects -- Oregon Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Architectural drawings Subject Source: TGM II, Genre and physical characteristic terms
- Architectural photographs Subject Source: TGM II, Genre and physical characteristic terms
- Architectural records Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Architecture Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Architecture -- Oregon -- 20th century -- Designs and plans Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Colleges and Universities Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Lawrence & Holford (Portland, Or.)
- McNaughton, Raymond & Lawrence (Firm)
- Oregon Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Photographs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- University of Oregon
- Guide to the Ellis Fuller Lawrence papers
- Complete Description
- Special Collections & University Archives processing staff; updated by Thomas Beech.
- 2007; updated 2015
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.
- Funding for encoding this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Endowment for the Humanities.
Part of the University of Oregon Libraries, Special Collections and University Archives Repository
1299 University of Oregon
Eugene OR 97403-1299 USA