Scope and Contents
The collection contains political correspondence, legal briefs, diaries and journals, scrapbook pages and speeches.
The bulk of the collection consists of political correspondence concerning Graham's election campaigns, the nation's first gas tax that Graham introduced, the Wilson River Hwy, and the Forest Grove Chamber of Commerce.
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to the public. Collection must be used in Special Collections and University Archives Reading Room. Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives in advance of your visit to allow for transportation time.
Conditions Governing Use
Property rights reside with Special Collections and University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections and University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
Biographical / Historical
Loyal M. Graham (1860-1961) was born in Butler, Pennsylvania and died in Forest Grove, Oregon at the age of 101. He was an attorney and legislator in Nebraska and in Oregon. In 1919, as a Republican state legislator of Oregon, Graham introduced the nation's first gasoline tax "in an attempt to improve Oregon’s roads and obtain financing for highway construction."
Sources: Oregon Department of Transportation website: www.oregon.gov/ODOT/CS/FS/news/Vo2-No2_FSUpdate.pdf
2 linear feet (4 containers)
Language of Materials
Loyal M. Graham (1860-1961) was an attorney and legislator, and in 1919 as an Oregon state legislator he introduced the nation's first gasoline tax. The collection contains political correspondence, legal briefs, diaries and journals, scrapbook pages and speeches.
Material within this collection may have little to no intellectual or physical arrangement. Any arrangement may have derived from the records' creators or custodians. It may be necessary to look in multiple places for the same types of materials.
3 manuscript boxes, 1 half manuscript box
Collection processed by staff.
This finding aid may be updated periodically to account for new acquisitions to the collection and/or revisions in arrangement and description.
This collection received a basic level of processing including minimal to no organization and rehousing.
Description information is drawn in part from information supplied with the collection and initial surveys of the contents.
- Correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Diaries Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Gasoline -- Taxation -- Oregon Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Gasoline -- Taxation -- United States -- Public opinion Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Graham, Loyal M. (Loyal Mateer), 1860-1961
- Lawyers -- Oregon Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Legal documents Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Legislators -- Oregon Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Oregon -- Politics and government -- 1859-1950 Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Political campaigns -- Oregon Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Politics and Politicians Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Taxation -- Oregon Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Guide to the Loyal M. Graham Papers
- Complete Description
- Finding aid prepared by University of Oregon Libraries, Archivists' Toolkit Project Team and Tanya Parlet.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.
- Funding for production of this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC).