Vanport, Oregon flood photograph album
Scope and Contents
The Vanport, Oregon photograph album contains one hundred photographs of the aftermath of the 1948 flood in Vanport and Portland. The album also contains a copy of the memo circulated to residents urging them to remain in their homes rather than evacuate the area.
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to the public. Collection must be used in Special Collections and University Archives Reading Room. Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives in advance of your visit to allow for transportation time.
Conditions Governing Use
Property rights reside with Special Collections and University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections and University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
Biographical / Historical
Vanport, Oregon was a wartime public housing project built to shelter Kaiser Shipyard employees working in Portland and Vancouver, Washington. The city was destroyed in May 1948 when hen a 200-foot section of the dike holding back the Columbia River collapsed during a flood, killing 15 and leaving its largely African-American inhabitants homeless.
1 linear feet (1 container)
Language of Materials
The Vanport, Oregon flood photograph album captures the aftermath of the May 1948 flood that destroyed the city of Vanport leaving its largly African-American population homeless. The album contains one hundred images of the aftermath of the flood in both Vanport and Portland.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Purchased from Michael Fairly, 2012.
- Floods -- Columbia River Watershed Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Floods -- Oregon Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Photograph albums Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Photographs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Public housing -- Oregon -- Vanport Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Vanport (Or.) -- Photographs Subject Source: Lcnaf
- Guide to the Vanport, Oregon flood photograph album
- Complete Description
- Alexandra M. Bisio
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
Part of the University of Oregon Libraries, Special Collections and University Archives Repository
1299 University of Oregon
Eugene OR 97403-1299 USA