William and Lois Kerns land patent
Scope and Contents
This collection is comprised of the land patent issued to William Kerns and Lois B. Kerns of Clackamas County, Oregon on July 21, 1873. The three hundred and twenty-acre plot was located at Township 1 North, Range 2 East, Section 33 South. The document is signed by President Ulysses S. Grant.
- 1873 July 21
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to the public. Collection must be used in Special Collections and University Archives Reading Room. Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives in advance of your visit to allow for transportation time.
Conditions Governing Use
Property rights reside with Special Collections and University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections and University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
Biographical / Historical
William Kerns was born February 11, 1811. Lois Kerns was born in Kentucky in 1817. The two married June 11, 1848. According to an issue of the Oregonian, dated August 16, 1878, William Kerns died August 4, 1878 in Grant County. Kerns and several other men - A.H. Grath, Jo Fruites, and William's son, Samuel Kerns - were sluicing for gold at Spanish Gulch when a heavy cave, or slide, occurred. The water in the flume was dammed by the mud and dirt, and Grath and Samuel were soon buried in mud and water to their shoulders. Grath and Samuel both escaped with the assistance of another nearby team, but William, who had been reclining against the bank, was buried from his chin down, his chest crushed and his neck broken.
0.1 linear feet (1 container) : 1 folder
Language of Materials
Collection is comprised of the land patent issued to William Kerns and Lois B. Kerns of Clackamas County, Oregon on July 21, 1873.
This collection is comprised of a single item.
- Clackamas County (Or.) -- History -- 19th century Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Frontier and pioneer life Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Kerns, Lois B., 1817-
- Kerns, William, 1811-1878
- Land titles Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Legal documents Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Pioneers Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Pioneers -- Oregon -- Clackamas County Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Guide to the William and Lois Kerns Land Patent
- Preliminary Description
- Rachel Lilley
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid is written in English