Certificate of Register of the brig Metropolis
Scope and Contents
The collection is comprised of the Certificate of Register issued to Herman C. Leonard by John Adair, Collector, for the brig, Metropolis. The Metropolis was built at Essex in Massachusetts in 1847, and measured ninety feet long, twenty-three feet six inches in breadth, and eleven feet two inches deep. This certificate was issued at the Port of Astoria, and was surrendered and changed to a bark on November 2, 1855.
- Creation: 1854 April 18
- Adair, John, 1808-1888 (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to the public. Collection must be used in Special Collections and University Archives Reading Room. Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives in advance of your visit to allow for transportation time.
Conditions Governing Use
Property rights reside with Special Collections and University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections and University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
Biographical / Historical
John Adair was born at White Hall, Kentucky on August 8, 1808. He was the youngest child of Governor John Adair and Anna Palmer Adair. In 1834, he married Miss Mary Ann Cockburn Dickerson. In 1848, President Polk appointed him Collector of Customs at the Port of Astoria, Oregon. On December 18 of that year, John Adair and his wife and six children boarded the steamer Falcon at New Orleans, bound for Oregon via the Isthmus of Panama. After nearly three months, the family finally landed in San Francisco, where they boarded the Valdora. Adair would serve as the Collector of Customs for 12 years, through four consecutive presidential administrations, despite his being one of the leading Democrats in Oregon. At his retirement, he took up stock farming and other ventures. He died April 9, 1888, at his home in Astoria.
Herman C. Leonard was born February 1824 in New York. Leonard moved to Portland in 1852, where he and his partner, John Green, and Green's brother Henry, founded the gas operations of The Leonard and Green Company. In 1862, the three men founded the Portland Gas Light Company, what would eventually become the Northwest Natural Gas Company. In 1865, Leonard, along with former Portland mayors William S. Ladd and Henry Failing, incorporated an iron smelting company, which they named the Oregon Iron Company. The Leonard and Green Company would also eventually own several ships, which they used to export produce and lumber, and import coal.
0.1 linear feet (1 container) : 1 folder
Language of Materials
Collection is comprised of the Certificate of Register issued to Herman C. Leonard by John Adair for the brig, Metropolis.
This collection contains a single item.
- Certificate of Register of the Brig Metropolis
- Preliminary Description
- Rachel Lilley
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid is written in English.