Scope and Contents
The collection include diaries, correspondence, sermon outlines, and letters from his son Vernon.
The bulk of the diaries are dated from 1927-1950. One diary is dated 1890.
Correspondence includes personal and professional letters, 1943-1948.
The bulk of this collection are sermon outlines by Farnham, 1912-1930.
Collection also includes the letters of his son, Vernon L. Farnham who was an Evangelical Church missionary in China, serving in Nanking, Changsha, and Liling. His 53 letters, 1924-1940, give a detailed description and comments on mission work and Chinese politics.
- Majority of material found within 1912-1948
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to the public. Collection must be used in Special Collections and University Archives Reading Room. Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives in advance of your visit to allow for transportation time.
Conditions Governing Use
Property rights reside with Special Collections and University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections and University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
Biographical / Historical
Hubert Henry Farnham (1868-1953) was a minister of Evangelical Church in Portland, Oregon. He was born in Waterbury, Vermont, lived for a time in Nebraska, and later settled in central California, where he entered the ministry of the Free Methodist Church. In 1907, he severed his connection with the Free Methodists, and about the same time moved to Oregon, where he preached in the Evangelical Church at Dallas and Rickreall. He then moved to Portland, where he served a series of congregations. He was secretary of the Oregon Conference of the Evangelical Church in the 1920s.
2 linear feet (4 containers) : 4 manuscript boxes
Language of Materials
Hubert Henry Farnham (1868-1953) was a minister of Evangelical Church in Portland, Oregon. The collection include diaries, correspondence (personal and professional), sermon outlines, and letters from his son Vernon.
Collection is organized into the following series: Diaries, Correspondence, Sermon Outlines, and Letters from Son Vernon.
Material within this collection is minimally arranged. Any arrangement is either derived from the records' creators or custodians or from staff at the time of initial processing. It may be necessary to look in multiple places for the same types of materials.
Collection processed by staff.
This finding aid may be updated periodically to account for new acquisitions to the collection and/or revisions in arrangement and description.
This collection received a basic level of processing including minimal organization and rehousing.
Description information is drawn in part from information supplied with the collection and initial surveys of the contents. Folder titles are based on those created by the creators or previous custodians. Titles have not all been verified against the contents of the folders. In some cases, staff supplied folder titles during initial processing.
- China -- Politics and government -- 1912-1949 Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Congregationalists -- Clergy Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Congregationalists -- Missions -- China Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Diaries Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Evangelical Church
- Evangelical Church. Oregon-Washington Conference
- Farnham, Hubert Henry, 1868-1953
- Missionaries -- China -- Correspondence Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Oregon Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Portland (Or.) -- Church history Subject Source: Lcnaf
- Sermons Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Guide to the Hubert Henry Farnham Papers
- Complete Description
- University of Oregon Libraries Archivists' Toolkit Project Team and Jenn Newby.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English
- Funding for production of this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC).