Scope and Contents
The collection contains news segments produced for daily local newscasts, in-depth feature stories, some complete newscasts, year-end retrospectives, sports shows, and miscellaneous content produced or purchased by Chambers Communications Corp.. The collection consists of 16mm film, various videotape formats, DVDs, and paper reference logs. The bulk of the news collection covers 1966-1997. Miscellaneous content ranges from 1938-2011.
- circa 1966-1997
- Chambers Communications Corporation (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to the public.
Collection includes sound recordings, moving images, or digital media to which access is restricted. Access to these materials is governed by repository policy and may require the production of listening or viewing copies. Researchers requiring access must notify Special Collections and University Archives in advance and pay fees for reproduction services as necessary.
Collection digital files may be requested through Special Collections and University Archives Reproductions and Permissions Request Form or accessed online.
Conditions Governing Use
Property rights reside with Special Collections and University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections and University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
Biographical / Historical
Chambers Communications Corp. was a TV news production company in Eugene, Oregon. The company produced daily TV news and feature programming for the ABC affiliate station KEZI. In 1959, a group of Eugene investors formed Liberty Communications and were granted a license to establish Eugene’s second television station (the first was KVAL). The investors included Julio Silva and his daughter, Carolyn S. Chambers. KEZI went on the air for the first time on Dec. 19, 1960. In February 1983, Denver-based Tele-Communications, Inc. purchased Liberty Communications’ cable and television assets. At the time of the sale, Liberty owned thirty-three cable television systems and five other television stations in eleven states. In April 1983, Carolyn Chambers formed Chambers Communications Corp. and purchased several former Liberty entities, including KEZI. Chambers Communications Corp. also owned two other ABC affiliates, as well as three WB stations in Oregon. The company was sold in March 2014 to Heartland Media, based on Atlanta, Georgia.
567 linear feet (378 record storage boxes)
Language of Materials
Chambers Communications Corp. was a TV news production company in Eugene, Oregon. The collection contains film, videotapes, DVDs, and paper reference logs.
Other Finding Aids
Collection inventories and broadcast logs may be found in the KEZI-TV/Chambers Communications Corp. Records in Scholars' Bank.
Existence and Location of Copies
Selected items are available online in the KEZI-TV/Chambers Communications Corporation Records in Aviary.
378 record storage boxes
- 16mm Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Broadcast journalism -- Oregon -- Eugene Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- DVDs. Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Logs (records) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Mass media -- United States Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Media and Communication Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Television broadcasting -- Oregon -- Eugene Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Television broadcasting -- United States Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Television broadcasting of news -- Oregon -- Eugene Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Videotapes Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Guide to the Chambers Communications Corporation Records
- Preliminary Description
- Elizabeth Peterson
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid is written in English.