Teaching collection of legal document samples
Scope and Contents
The collection was compiled by unknown sources.
The collection contains:
a Seal of the State of Oregon signed by Governor Earl Snell;
stock certificates from the Guaranty Oil Company of Oregon, issued to James Bristow, 1924 and 1925;
stock certificate of the Portland Country Club and Live Stock Association issued to Jonathan Bourne, Jr, in 1904;
a certificate of naturalization for Theodore Augustus Chemin, 1844;
a document from Queen Victoria's reign, written by Russell, confirming Hugh Smith as consul for the United States, dated August 27, 1861;
a deed signed by S. H. Marsh, President of Tualatin Academy and Pacific University, giving land to Wilson Bonly (?), 1866;
a bill certifying a payment to W. F. Drannen for his work as a prison guard, signed by the Jackson County Sheriff, 1875;
a balance sheet listing purchases (or actions taken) of medical goods such as "purging powder," dated 1746;
an agreement note between two men regarding stamps, undated;
a document fragment handwritten in Spanish, undated (stamped with crest that is dated 1692 and 1693).
- University of Oregon (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to the public. Collection must be used in Special Collections and University Archives Reading Room. Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives in advance of your visit to allow for transportation time.
Conditions Governing Use
Property rights reside with Special Collections and University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections and University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
0.025 linear feet (1 container) : 1 folder
Language of Materials
The collection (1747-1925) of legal documents includes a Seal of the State of Oregon, stock certificates, a document from Queen Victoria's reign, and an American naturalization certificate from 1844.
Collection processed by Tanya Parlet, 2013.
This finding aid may be updated periodically to account for new acquisitions to the collection and/or revisions in arrangement and description.
This collection received a basic level of processing including minimal organization and rehousing.
Description information is drawn in part from information supplied with the collection and initial surveys of the contents.
- Artifacts Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Law -- Sources Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Law -- Study and teaching Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Legal documents Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Legal documents -- Oregon Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Legal instruments -- Oregon Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Stock certificates -- Oregon Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Guide to the Teaching Collection of Legal Document Samples
- Complete Description
- Tanya Parlet.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid is written in English
- Funding for production of this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC).