Kenneth L. Holmes correspondence and subject files
Scope and Contents
There are two sections to the collection. The first contains correspondence between Holmes and many Oregon politicians. The second section is primarily regarding Richard Neuberger and Wayne Morse, both US Senators from Oregon.
The first section of letters contain incoming and outgoing correspondence, from 1952 to 1968, and also a 33 1/2 rpm flexidisc recording titled, "An Interview with Senator Wayne Morse on Vietnam," conducted by Bill Plymat.
There is incoming correspondence from Mark O. Hatfield, Tom McCall, Richard Nixon (as Vice President), Nelson A. Rockefeller, and Estes Kefauver (a senator from Tennessee). This group of letters may have been kept as a autograph collection.
Topics of the letters include Vietnam, the Idaho slot machine 'crowd', the Advisory Committee on the Arts and Humanities, the Yamhill County Human Relations Council, and surplus food distribution overseas.
The second section seems to be a subject file regarding Oregon Senators' Neuberger and Morse. The file contains correspondence primarily between Holmes and Richard Neuberger while Neuberger served as an United States senator. This section also contains articles, news releases, remarks, and similar information by and about Neuberger and Morse, from 1958-1959.
- Holmes, Kenneth L. (Person)
- McCall, Tom, 1913-1983 (Person)
- Nixon, Richard M. (Richard Milhous), 1913-1994 (Person)
- Hatfield, Mark O., 1922-2011 (Person)
- Morse, Wayne L. (Wayne Lyman), 1900-1974 (Person)
- Neuberger, Richard L. (Richard Lewis), 1912-1960 (Person)
- Kefauver, Estes, 1903-1963 (Person)
- Rockefeller, Nelson A. (Nelson Aldrich), 1908-1979 (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to the public. Collection must be used in Special Collections and University Archives Reading Room. Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives in advance of your visit to allow for transportation time.
Conditions Governing Use
Property rights reside with Special Collections and University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections and University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
Biographical / Historical
Kenneth L. Holmes, of Moscow, Idaho, was a reverend, an editor of the News-Register of McMinnville, Oregon, and a professor (and Chair) of the History department at Linfield College.
In 1965, Oregon Governor Hatfield asked Holmes to serve on the Advisory Committee on the Arts and Humanities. Holmes was also a member and chairman of the Yamhill County Human Relations Council.
0.075 linear feet (3 folders)
Language of Materials
Kenneth L. Holmes was a reverend, a McMinnville, Oregon newspaper editor, and a History professor at Linfield College. The collection (1952-1968) contains correspondence, including letters from Oregon politicians, and also a 33 1/2 rpm flexidisc recording of an interview with Wayne Morse regarding Vietnam.
Collection processed by Tanya Parlet, 2013
This finding aid may be updated periodically to account for new acquisitions to the collection and/or revisions in arrangement and description.
This collection received a basic level of processing including minimal organization and rehousing.
Description information is drawn in part from information supplied with the collection and initial surveys of the contents.
- College teachers -- Oregon -- McMinnville Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Hatfield, Mark O., 1922-2011
- Historians -- Oregon Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Holmes, Kenneth L.
- Human Relations Council (Yamhill County, Or.)
- Legislators -- Oregon Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Legislators -- United States Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Linfield College
- Morse, Wayne L. (Wayne Lyman), 1900-1974
- Neuberger, Richard L. (Richard Lewis), 1912-1960
- Newspaper editors -- Oregon -- McMinnville Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Oregon Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Oregon -- Politics and government -- 1951- Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Oregon. Governor's Advisory Committee on the Arts and Humanities
- Rockefeller, Nelson A. (Nelson Aldrich), 1908-1979
- United States -- Politics and government -- 20th century Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Vietnam War, 1961-1975 Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Guide to the Kenneth L. Holmes Correspondence and Subject Files
- Complete Description
- Tanya Parlet.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid is written in English
- Funding for production of this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC).
Part of the University of Oregon Libraries, Special Collections and University Archives Repository
1299 University of Oregon
Eugene OR 97403-1299 USA