Fred Harrison legislative speeches
Scope and Contents
The collection (1935-1937) contains legislative speeches, and (political) poetry.
His writings indicate he was a supporter of Roosevelt's "New Deal" programs. There are handwritten and also typed speeches, including drafts.
Topics of speeches include proposals: for a lieutenant governor; for public funding of school textbooks; against advertising of tobacco and liquor; for adoption of the Townsend [retirement] Plan; and against Sunday closing laws.
There are two poems, one against Sunday closing laws, and one made into a song titled, "The Governor's Sale's Tax Song."
- Harrison, Fred, 1883-1963 (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to the public. Collection must be used in Special Collections and University Archives Reading Room. Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives in advance of your visit to allow for transportation time.
Conditions Governing Use
Property rights reside with Special Collections and University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections and University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
0.025 linear feet (1 folder)
Language of Materials
Fred Harrison, of Brownsville, Oregon, served in the Oregon State House of Representatives as a Democrat, from 1935 to 1937, representing Linn County. The collection (1935-1937) contains legislative speeches, and (political) poetry.
Collection processed by Tanya Parlet, 2013.
This finding aid may be updated periodically to account for new acquisitions to the collection and/or revisions in arrangement and description.
This collection received a basic level of processing including minimal organization and rehousing.
Description information is drawn in part from information supplied with the collection and initial surveys of the contents.
- Harrison, Fred, 1883-1963
- Legislators -- Oregon -- Linn County Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- New Deal, 1933-1939 -- Oregon Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Oregon Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Oregon -- Politics and government -- 1859-1950 Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Oregon. Legislative Assembly. House of Representatives
- Poetry Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Politicians -- Oregon Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States -- Politics and government -- 1933-1945 Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Guide to the Fred Harrison Legislative Speeches
- Complete Description
- Tanya Parlet
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid is written in English
- Funding for production of this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC).