Independent Order of Odd Fellows, Spencer Butte Lodge No. 9 records
Scope and Contents
The collection (1863-1907) consists of correspondence, official documents, and other lodge materials.
Correspondence dates from 1863-1907, and is primarily concerned with the paying of membership dues.
Official documents include, but are not limited to, assignments of rank and title to members of the lodge dating from 1864-1901.
There are also bulletins from the office of R. W., Grand Secretary of the Grand Lodge of Oregon, apprising members of the membership status of expelled, rejected, or suspended Odd Fellows.
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to the public. Collection must be used in Special Collections and University Archives Reading Room. Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives in advance of your visit to allow for transportation time.
Conditions Governing Use
Property rights reside with Special Collections and University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections and University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
Biographical / Historical
Spencer Butte Lodge No. 9 is a Eugene, Oregon chapter of the Independent Organization of Odd Fellows. The lodge was founded in the mid 19th century. Members of the lodge were also responsible for the creation of the Pioneer Memorial Cemetery in Eugene.
The Independent Organization of Odd Fellows is a fraternal organization that traces its roots back to 17th century England. The first North American Odd Fellows lodge was founded in Baltimore, Maryland, on April 26, 1819.
0.025 linear feet (1 folder)
Language of Materials
Spencer Butte Lodge No. 9 is a Eugene, Oregon chapter of the Independent Organization of Odd Fellows. The collection (1863-1907) consists of correspondence, official documents, and other lodge materials.
Collection processed by Austin Munsell, 2013.
This finding aid may be updated periodically to account for new acquisitions to the collection and/or revisions in arrangement and description.
This collection received a basic level of processing including minimal organization and rehousing.
Description information is drawn in part from information supplied with the collection and initial surveys of the contents.
- Administrative records Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Fraternal organizations -- Oregon -- Eugene Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Oregon Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Oregon -- Social life and customs Subject Source: Lcnaf
- Pioneer Memorial Cemetery (Eugene, Or.)
- Guide to the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, Spencer Butte Lodge No. 9 Records
- Complete Description
- Austin Munsell and Tanya Parlet.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid is written in English
- Funding for production of this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC).