The Beekman family consists of Cornelius C. Beekman, the founder and owner of Beekman Bank in Jacksonville, Oregon; his son Benjamin Beekman, a Portland, Oregon lawyer and UO Law School faculty member; and his daughter Carrie Beekman, who donated substantially to the University of Oregon. The collection consists of correspondence, diaries, miscellaneous manuscripts and publications, scrapbooks and photographs.
- Beekman, Benjamin B., 1863-1945 (Person)
- Beekman, Carrie C., 1865-1959 (Person)
- Beekman, Cornelius C. (Cornelius Compton), 1828-1915 (Person)
- Beekman family (Family)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to the public. Collection must be used in Special Collections and University Archives Reading Room. Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives in advance of your visit to allow for transportation time.
Conditions Governing Use
Property rights reside with Special Collections and University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections and University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
Biographical / Historical
Cornelius C. Beekman was the founder and owner of Beekman Bank in Jacksonville, Oregon. His son, Benjamin became a lawyer in Portland and was a faculty member of the University of Oregon law school from 1907-1915, when the law school was based in Portland. Carrie Beekman, daughter of Cornelius and sister of Benjamin, provided for the funding of the Beekman chair in history at the University of Oregon, in addition to her many other substantial donations.
3 linear feet (6 containers) : 4 manuscript boxes and 2 photo boxes
Language of Materials
Collection processed by staff, 1983.
This finding aid may be updated periodically to account for new acquisitions to the collection and/or revisions in arrangement and description.
- Bankers -- Oregon -- Jacksonville Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Banks and banking -- Oregon -- Jacksonville Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Beekman family
- Beekman family
- Beekman family
- Beekman, Benjamin B., 1863-1945
- Beekman, Carrie C., 1865-1959
- Beekman, Cornelius C. (Cornelius Compton), 1828-1915
- Businesses and Corporations Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Diaries Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Jacksonville (Or.) -- Photographs Subject Source: Lcnaf
- Jacksonville (Or.) -- Social life and customs Subject Source: Lcnaf
- Lawyers -- Oregon -- Portland Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Photographic prints Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Scrapbooks Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- University of Oregon. School of Law
- Guide to the Beekman Family Papers
- Complete Description
- Finding aid prepared by University of Oregon Libraries, Archivists' Toolkit Project Team and Tanya Parlet.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.
- Funding for production of this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC).