Scope and Contents
The collection contains diaries which include minutes of faculty and other university related meetings, scrapbooks, manuscript fragments, printed matter and university publications, photographs, and mementos.
There are bound diaries and loose diary pages, all handwritten in clear handwriting. One bound diary contains very descriptive and reflective notes and minutes of University of Oregon meetings.
Scrapbooks contain mostly clippings about news and issues regarding his work as a teacher and principal in Oregon schools, his work with the Red Cross, and the extension school at the University of Oregon. There are a small amount of mementos in the scrapbooks and contains in a folder of loose scrapbook pages and other miscellaneous papers.
There is also an extension service bulletin from 1914, an article Kilpatrick wrote about consolidation of Oregon schools (1922), and announcements (catalogues) of the University of Oregon School of Social Work (1924-1926).
The collection includes an employment list and timeline for Kilpatrick.
- Portland School of Social Work (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to the public. Collection must be used in Special Collections and University Archives Reading Room. Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives in advance of your visit to allow for transportation time.
Conditions Governing Use
Property rights reside with Special Collections and University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections and University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
Biographical / Historical
Earl Kilpatrick (1899 - 1927) was a graduate of of the University of Oregon and would later become the director of the University of Oregon's Extension Division.
After graduation Kilpatrick worked as a teacher, became principal of Oakland Schools in Oakland, Oregon, and principal of Salem High School. He also worked for the Red Cross, becoming director of Pueblo, Colorado relief in the early 1920s.
He became head of the Extension Division at the University of Oregon in 1915, a position he held until 1926 when he left to become the disaster director of the Red Cross at St. Louis, Missouri.
He died in an airplane accident on May 30, 1927. He was thirty-eight years old.
0.5 linear feet (1 container)
Language of Materials
Earl Kilpatrick (1899 - 1927) was a graduate of of the University of Oregon and would become the director of the Extension Division at the University of Oregon in 1915, a position he held until 1926 when he left to become the disaster director of the Red cross at St. Louis, Missouri. The collection contains diaries which include minutes of faculty and other university related meetings, scrapbooks, photographs, and mementos.
Material within this collection may have little to no intellectual or physical arrangement. Any arrangement may have derived from the records' creators or custodians. It may be necessary to look in multiple places for the same types of materials.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Donated by Mrs. Earl Kilpatrick.
Collection processed by staff.
This finding aid may be updated periodically to account for new acquisitions to the collection and/or revisions in arrangement and description.
This collection received a basic level of processing including minimal to no organization and rehousing.
Description information is drawn in part from information supplied with the collection and initial surveys of the contents.
- Adult education teachers -- Oregon -- Eugene Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- American National Red Cross
- Clippings Subject Source: TGM II, Genre and physical characteristic terms
- Colleges and Universities Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Diaries Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Education -- Oregon -- History -- 20th century Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Education, Higher -- Oregon -- Eugene Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Kilpatrick, Earl, 1899-1927
- Photographs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Portland School of Social Work
- School principals -- Oregon Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Scrapbooks Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Teachers -- Oregon Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Universities and colleges -- Oregon -- Eugene Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- University of Oregon
- Guide to the Earl Kilpatrick Papers
- Complete Description
- Tanya Parlet
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid is written in English
- Funding for production of this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC).