Scope and Contents note
This is a group of miscellaneous family papers. The collection contains general letters (1872-1940) to and from various members of the Allen family; letters of Franklin S. Allen (1904-1915) while a student at the University of Oregon and the University of Virginia; letters of Louise H. Allen (1917-1919), a newspaper reporter in Seattle, WA; and a letterpress book (1906-1908) of Seward D. Allen, a real estate salesman in Eugene, OR. Also included are journals (1858-1859) and a composition book (1854-1959) of Franklin Staples while he was principal of the Central Grammar School in Portland, Maine, and attending Portland Medical School
- Allen family (Family)
Conditions Governing Access note
Collection is open to the public. Collection must be used in Special Collections and University Archives Reading Room. Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives in advance of your visit to allow for transportation time.
Conditions Governing Use note
Property rights reside with Special Collections and University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections and University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
1.5 linear feet (1 containers) : 1 record storage box
Language of Materials
Collection consists of general letters (1872-1940) to and from various members of the Allen family, letters (1904-1915) of Franklin S. Allen, letters (1917-1919) of Louise H. Allen, a letterpress book (1906-1908) of Seward D. Allen, and journals (1858-1859) and a composition book (1856-1859) of Franklin Staples.
Collection is organized into the following series: Allen Family Letters, GeneralFranklin S. Allen, LettersLouise H. Allen, LettersSeward D. AllenFranklin Staples
Processing Information note
Collection processed by processing staff.
This finding aid may be updated periodically to account for new acquisitions to the collection and/or revisions in arrangement and description.
- Allen, Franklin S.
- Allen, Louise H.
- Allen, Seward D.
- Elementary and Secondary Education Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Journalism Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Letters Subject Source: Genre Terms: A Thesaurus for Use in Rare Book and Special Collections Cataloguing
- Medicine and Health Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Staples, Franklin, 1833-1904
- Guide to the Allen Family papers
- Complete Description
- Finding aid prepared by processing staff
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.
- Funding for encoding this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Endowment for the Humanities.