Skip to main content

University of Oregon Medical, Nursing, and Dental Schools records

 Collection — Multiple Containers
Identifier: UA 184

Scope and Contents

The collection contains bulletins, catalogues, yearbooks, and commencement programs of the schools, as well as surveys, projects, and reports, 1887-1981.

The collection is organized by accession and as of 2013 there is only one accession.

Accession 1996.65.A includes the following material (list is not comprehensive):

Medical school catalogues/announcements/bulletins, 1887-1974;

Nursing catalogues, 1978-1981;

Dentistry catalogues, 1970s;

The Lamp, the School of Nursing yearbook, 1960-1969;

Aesclepia, the medical and nursing yearbook, 1940.

Imprint, the medical school's yearbook, 1970s.

The Caementum, the Dental School's alumni association publication, 1960s-1981;

Bound reports to alumni, 1964-1973;

Commencement programs, 1970s;

Directories for multiple schools over multiple years;

A report of a survey of the Medical school, 1961;

Medical school reports, 1922-1940;

Health services report, 1924;

A report on the project to construct a "Mental Retardation Center;"

A report on procedures in clinical departments, 1936.

Dates

  • 1887-1981

Creator

Conditions Governing Access

Collection is open to the public. Collection must be used in Special Collections and University Archives Reading Room. Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Permanent University Archive public records are available for research, and are subject to state, and in some cases federal freedom of information laws. In compliance with applicable state and federal laws, including, but not limited to, FERPA and HIPAA, specific records that are legally protected, sensitive, private, or confidential are exempt (not subject to disclosure) and closed to protect individual privacy. Access to paper records will be granted after a professional review of the records occurs based on regulations in state and federal laws. Contact Special Collections and University Archives well in advance in order to access these records.

Conditions Governing Use

Property rights reside with Special Collections and University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections and University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.

Biographical / Historical

The University of Oregon Medical School was granted its charter in 1887 by the Board of Regents of the University. In 1913, the medical department of Willamette University merged with the UO Medical School. The school was located in Portland, Oregon.

Professional courses in nursing were offered for the first time in the summer session of 1919. Courses were located in Portland in cooperation with the Northwest Division of the American Red Cross Home Service Department, the Portland Visiting Nurse Association, the Welfare Bureau, and the Oregon Tuberculosis Association. A standard course of study in public health nursing was established in the fall of 1920 as a part of the program of the Portland Division of the UO School of Sociology; this division was known as the Portland School of Social Work.

In 1926 the University introduced a five-year curriculum in nursing leading to a bachelor's degree. As a part of the reorganization of the Oregon State System of Higher Education in 1932, the Portland School of Social Work was discontinued and the program in nursing was transferred to the Medical School and established in a Department of Nursing Education. The nursing program became the School of Nursing in 1960.

The North Pacific Dental College and The Oregon College of Dentistry merged under the name, North Pacific College of Oregon in 1900. It existed as a private institution until 1945 when the Oregon Legislature accepted the property of the College and incorporated it into the Oregon State System of Higher Education as the University of Oregon Dental School.

The Multnomah Hospital was constructed in 1923 and it served as one of the teaching units of the Medical School.

E. M. Doernbecher and Ada Doernbecher gifted the University of Oregon with 200,000 to create the Doernbecher Children's Hospital, which opened in 1926 as a part of the Medical School.

The outpatient clinic was built in 1931.

The University State Tuberculosis Hospital began admitting patients in 1939 and was staffed by faculty members of the Medical School.

The Library and the 600-seat Auditorium building was built in 1939. The Laboratory and Administration building was completed in 1949. The University of Oregon Medical School Hospital was completed in 1955 and the UO Dental School Building was completed in 1956.

The new Dental School building and the new University of Oregon Medical School Hospital opened in 1956.

In November of 1974, the UO Medical School, School of Nursing and Dental School, were reorganized as the University of Oregon Health Sciences Center, by action of the State Board of Higher Education, as an independent school operating under the State Board.

In 1981 the University of Oregon Health Sciences Center was renamed Oregon Health Sciences University (OHSU) and became an autonomous university under the Oregon University System and no longer a part of the University of Oregon. In 1995, OHSU became a private corporation and no longer a school within the Oregon University System.

For more information about the history of the Medical, Nursing and Dental schools, the relationship with the University of Oregon, as well as the numerous programs, buildings, and locations of the schools, see the catalogs and alumni books within the collection, and historical material within the University Archives Reference Collections:

University Archives alphabetical subject files, UA Ref 1; University Archives alphabetical subject single files, UA Ref 6; University Archives publications, UA Ref 4; University Archives photographs, UA Ref 3.

Extent

3.5 linear feet (3 containers) : 2 record storage boxes, 1 manuscript box

Language of Materials

English

Abstract

The University of Oregon Medical School was charterd in 1887 by the Board of Regents, and grew to include the School of Nursing, the Dental School, the Doernbecher Children's hospital, University State Tuberculosis Hospital, the Medical School Hospital, and Multnomah Hospital, and in 1981, was renamed Oregon Health Sciences University (OHSU), becoming an autonomous university. The collection contains bulletins, catalogues, yearbooks, and commencement programs of the schools, as well as surveys, projects, and reports, 1887-1981.

Arrangement

Material within this collection has been organized by accession. This organization reflects the fact that the collection has been acquired in increments over time. This organization is also based on the decision not to merge the various accessions and organize them as a whole at this point in time, give the fact that future accruals are anticipated and/or that this organization is deemed sufficient for access.

Researchers should note that materials within a series or accession may overlap and/or relate to materials found in other accessions or initially processed materials. For example, correspondence may be found in all or only some groupings. In order to locate all relevant material within this collection, researchers may need to consult each accession.

Researchers should also note that similar materials can be arranged differently in each accession, depending on how the material is organized upon receipt or during initial processing. For instance, correspondence is one accession may be arranged alphabetically, while correspondence in another accession is arranged chronologically.

Immediate Source of Acquisition

The records have been acquired through occasional transfers from the University of Oregon Medical, Nursing, and Dental Schools.

Related Materials

Other collections relating to University of Oregon Medical, Nursing, and Dental Schools, Doernbecher Children's Hospital, and other medical school buildings and programs at Special Collections and University Archives include:

University Archives alphabetical subject files, UA Ref 1; University Archives alphabetical subject single files, UA Ref 6; University Archives publications, UA Ref 4; University Archives photographs, UA Ref 3.

The Oregon Health Sciences University (OHSU) also holds collections regarding the University of Oregon Medical, Nursing, and Dental Schools as well as Doernbecher Children's Hospital.

Processing Information

Collection processed by Tanya Parlet, 2013.

This finding aid may be updated periodically to account for new acquisitions to the collection and/or revisions in arrangement and description.

This collection received a basic level of processing including minimal to no organization and rehousing. Multiple accession(s) for the collection have not been merged or organized as a whole. Each accession is described separately.

Description information is drawn in part from information supplied with the collection and initial surveys of the contents.

Title
Guide to the University of Oregon Medical, Nursing, and Dental Schools records
Status
Complete Description
Author
Tanya Parlet.
Date
2013
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin
Language of description note
Finding aid is written in English
Sponsor
Funding for production of this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC).

Repository Details

Part of the University of Oregon Libraries, Special Collections and University Archives Repository

Contact:
1299 University of Oregon
Eugene OR 97403-1299 USA