Robert Sharp Bean papers
Scope and Contents
The papers consist of correspondence, letters relating to cases before the court, legal files and case files.
Correspondence is organized chronologically, and includes about 8,000 letters from 1909-1931.
Case and legal files are organized alphabetically by name or title.
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to the public. Collection must be used in Special Collections and University Archives Reading Room. Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives in advance of your visit to allow for transportation time.
Conditions Governing Use
Property rights reside with Special Collections and University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections and University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
Biographical / Historical
Robert Sharp Bean (1854-1931) was born in 1854 to Obadiah Roberts and Julia Sharp Bean, and raised ten miles north of Eugene. He became a respected judge known for his impartiality. Bean served in circuit court from 1882-1890, in the Oregon Supreme Court from 1890-1909, and in U.S. District Court from 1909-1931.
A graduate of the University of Oregon in 1878, Bean became a UO regent in 1882, and received a law degree in 1895. In 1880 he married Ida Elizabeth Condon, daughter of Dr. Thomas Condon, the famous Oregon geologist. The couple had five sons, three of whom survived the judge.
In 1926, Bean became director of the Oregon Historical Society in Portland. During his life he served a total of 49 years on the bench and 21 years as a regent of the University of Oregon, and upon his death in 1931, was the University's oldest alumnus.
15 linear feet (10 containers) : 10 record storage boxes
Language of Materials
Robert Sharp Bean (1854-1931) served in the Oregon Circuit Court from 1882-1890, in the Oregon Supreme Court from 1890-1909, and in U.S. District Court from 1909-1931.The papers consist of correspondence, letters relating to cases before the court, legal files and case files.
Collection is organized into the following series: Correspondence, Legal and Case Files.
Collection processed by staff.
This finding aid may be updated periodically to account for new acquisitions to the collection and/or revisions in arrangement and description.
This collection received a basic level of processing including minimal to no organization and rehousing.
Description information is drawn in part from information supplied with the collection and initial surveys of the contents.
- Case files Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Civil Procedure and Courts Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Courts -- Oregon Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Judges -- Oregon Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Judges -- Oregon -- Correspondence Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Legal files Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- United States. District Court (Oregon)
- Guide to the Robert Sharp Bean papers
- Complete Description
- Finding aid prepared by University of Oregon Libraries, Archivists' Toolkit Project Team and Tanya Parlet.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.
- Funding for production of this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC).
Part of the University of Oregon Libraries, Special Collections and University Archives Repository
1299 University of Oregon
Eugene OR 97403-1299 USA