John B. Preston letter to Daniel Lownsdale
Scope and Contents
The collection consists of a single letter from Preston to Daniel Lownsdale, a Portland landowner.
In the letter, Preston requests that Lownsdale provide evidence of the validity of his land claim in general, and the boundary between his land and that of William W. Chapman in particular.
- 1852 December 29
- Preston, Jno. B. (John B.) (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to the public. Collection must be used in Special Collections and University Archives Reading Room. Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives in advance of your visit to allow for transportation time.
Conditions Governing Use
Property rights reside with Special Collections and University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections and University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
Biographical / Historical
John B. Preston was appointed by President Millard Fillmore to be the first surveyor general of the Oregon Territory in 1850. He was removed from this position in 1853.
0.025 linear feet (1 container) : 1 folder
Language of Materials
John B. Preston was the first surveyor general of the Oregon Territory. The collection consists of a single letter from Preston to Daniel Lownsdale of Portland.
Collection processed by Austin Munsell, 2012.
- Chapman, W. W. (William Williams)
- Correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Land titles -- Oregon Territory Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Landowners -- Oregon -- Portland Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Lownsdale, Daniel H., active 1848-1858
- Oregon Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Oregon Territory -- Claims Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Pioneers -- Oregon -- Portland Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Preston, Jno. B. (John B.)
- Surveyors -- Oregon Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Guide to the John B. Preston Letter to Daniel Lownsdale
- Complete Description
- Austin Munsell, Tanya Parlet, and Kira B. Homo.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid is written in English
- Funding for production of this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC).