John G. Bacher papers
Scope and Contents
The collection includes Bacher’s diaries (1906-1956), correspondence (1925-1957), plant catalogs, articles, and reports on plants and trips to Europe and Central America.
- Bacher, John G., 1883-1961 (Person)
Conditions Governing Access note
Collection is open to the public. Collection must be used in Special Collections and University Archives Reading Room. Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives in advance of your visit to allow for transportation time.
Conditions Governing Use
Property rights reside with Special Collections and University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections and University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
Biographical / Historical
John G. Bacher (1883-1961) was a horticulturist and landscape gardener. After attending schools in Switzerland, Bacher moved to Portland, Oregon, in 1906. He was active in the establishment of floral societies, test gardens, and arboreta. He also landscaped some of the large estates in and near Portland.
3 linear feet (2 containers)
Language of Materials
John G. Bacher (1883-1961) was a horticulturist and landscape gardener. The collection includes Bacher’s diaries, correspondence, plant catalogs, articles, and reports on plants and trips to Europe and Central America.
Collection is organized into the following series: I. Diaries (Box 1-2); II. Correspondence (Box 2); III. Articles and reports (Box 2). Diaries and Correspondence are arranged chronologically.
Other Finding Aids
Paper finding aid with additional information available in Special Collections & University Archives.
General Physical Description note
Processing Information note
Collection is processed.
- Correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Diaries Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Horticulturists -- Oregon. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Plants -- Northwest, Pacific Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Portland Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Portland (Or.) -- Buildings, structures, etc. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Guide to the John G. Bacher Papers
- Preliminary Description
- Finding aid prepared by University of Oregon Libraries, Archivists' Toolkit Project Team
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.
Part of the University of Oregon Libraries, Special Collections and University Archives Repository
1299 University of Oregon
Eugene OR 97403-1299 USA