Skip to main content

Roy C. Andrews papers

 Collection
Identifier: Ax 002

Scope and Contents

This collection consists of diaries, one account book, two ledgers, music concert lists, correspondence, University of Oregon material, photographs and other miscellaneous items.

The diaries are a personal record of daily events, without comment.

Among other things, the photographs include many of Andrews' images of one-room schoolhouses in southern Lane County, Oregon, 1911-1913.

Dates

  • 1902-1955

Creator

Conditions Governing Access

Collection is open to the public. Collection must be used in Special Collections and University Archives Reading Room. Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives in advance of your visit to allow for transportation time. Glass plate negatives and lantern slides are restricted due to the fragility of the format. All decisions regarding use will be at the discretion of the curator for visual materials.

Conditions Governing Use

Property rights reside with Special Collections and University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections and University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.

Biographical / Historical

Roy C. Andrews was a school teacher and administrator in Michigan, Texas, Arkansas, Washington and Oregon. He was a chemistry instructor at the University of Oregon from 1935 until his retirement in 1950. Andrews is noted for his photographs of one-room schoolhouses in southern Lane County, Oregon, 1911-1913.

Born in Doon, Iowa on March 3, 1885, Andrews attended the State Normal School in San Jose, California (now Cal State). In 1908-1909 Andrews taught high school in Columbus, Texas, and the following year may have taught in Lorane, Oregon. In 1911 he became the rural school supervisor for southern Lane County, which gave him the opportunity to travel to fifty one-room schoolhouse in the area. As a diarist and amateur photographer, Andrews documented a wide variety of school buildings, classrooms settings, and teachers with their students.

In 1915 Andrews received a bachelor of arts degree from the University of Oregon, and taught high school in Astoria, Oregon until 1917. From 1919-1920 he taught at South Bend, Washington, and from 1920-1934 at Jefferson High School on Portland. In 1935 he was placed in charge of the chemistry laboratory at the University of Oregon, and later began teaching on campus. Throughout his life, Roy C. Andrews was active in the Unitarian Church, the Portland Choral Society, and the Eugene hiking group, Obsidians. Roy C. Andrews died on February 3, 1955 following a brief illness.

Extent

13.25 linear feet (41 containers)

Language of Materials

English

Abstract

Roy C. Andrews was a school teacher and administrator in Michigan, Texas, Arkansas, Washington and Oregon. He was a chemistry instructor at the University of Oregon from 1935 until his retirement in 1950. Andrews is noted for his photographs of one-room schoolhouses in southern Lane County, 1911-1913. The collection consists of diaries, one account book, two ledgers, music concert lists, correspondence, University of Oregon material, and photographs.

Arrangement

Collection is organized into the following series: Diaries; Account Book; Ledgers of Books Lent; Music Concert; Correspondence; Contract and Letters of Recommendation; Miscellaneous, and Photographs.

Existence and Location of Copies

Selected items are available online in the Roy C. Andrews photographs, 1902-1955 in Oregon Digital.

Processing Information

Collection processed by staff.

This finding aid may be updated periodically to account for new acquisitions to the collection and/or revisions in arrangement and description.
Title
Guide to the Roy C. Andrews Papers
Status
Complete Description
Author
Vida Germano
Date
2004
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin
Language of description note
Finding aid written in English.
Sponsor
Funding for encoding this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Endowment for the Humanities.

Repository Details

Part of the University of Oregon Libraries, Special Collections and University Archives Repository

Contact:
1299 University of Oregon
Eugene OR 97403-1299 USA