Nancy Gurney papers
Scope and Contents note
The Nancy Gurney Papers include materials and illustrations for her book The King, the Mice and the Cheese with an original sketch of the cover and a plot summary. There is also an early draft of Gurney's Guide to Feathered Friends. The article "The Little Green Dot (or) Let's All Make Green Dot Dolls and Pillows" is included on page 19 of the magazine Ties. The Nancy Gurney Papers also contain a black and white photograph of Nancy Gurney taken in 1940.
- Gurney, Nancy, 1915-1973 (Person)
Conditions Governing Access note
Collection is open to the public. Collection must be used in Special Collections and University Archives Reading Room. Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives in advance of your visit to allow for transportation time.
Conditions Governing Use note
Property rights reside with Special Collections and University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections and University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
Nancy Gurney was born in 1915 and died in 1973. Very little information is available about her childhood and education. She lived in Westport, Connecticut and Gay Head, Martha's Vineyard, Massachusetts. She wrote three children's books in collaboration with her husband, Eric Gurney, who is an illustrator.
1.5 linear feet (1 container)
Language of Materials
Nancy Gurney (1915-1974) was a writer of children's books. The collection includes illustrations and manuscripts that reflect her work and collaboration with her husband, Eric Gurney.
Collection is organized into the following series:
Series: Manuscripts, Sketches, Notes and Miscellaneous
General Physical Description note
1 oversize flat box
Processing Information note
Collection processed by processing staff, January 1976.
This finding aid may be updated periodically to account for new acquisitions to the collection and/or revisions in arrangement and description.
- Book illustrations Subject Source: TGM II, Genre and physical characteristic terms
- Children and Youth Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Children's literature, American -- Authorship Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Gurney, Richard
- Illustrated children's books -- United States -- Specimens Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Illustrators -- United States Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Literature Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Photographs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Women Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Women authors, American -- 20th century Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Guide to the Nancy Gurney papers
- Complete Description
- Finding aid prepared by processing staff
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid is in English
- Funding for encoding this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Endowment for the Humanities.
Part of the University of Oregon Libraries, Special Collections and University Archives Repository
1299 University of Oregon
Eugene OR 97403-1299 USA