Beta Phi Mu. University of Oregon Chapter records
Scope and Contents
The collection contains records that document the functions and activities of this honor society.
Collection is organized by accession and includes the following material:
As of 2012 there is only one accession:
Accession 11271.A: Records consisting of bylaws, ritual information, correspondence, committee information and minutes, member and initiate information, treasurer's books and receipts, and a brass wick lamp, 1973.
- Beta Phi Mu. Beta Gamma Chapter (University of Oregon) (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to the public. Collection must be used in Special Collections and University Archives Reading Room. Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives in advance of your visit to allow for transportation time.
Conditions Governing Use
Property rights reside with Special Collections and University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections and University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
Biographical / Historical
Beta Phi Mu, the library and information studies honor society, was founded at the University of Illinois in August, 1948 by a group of leading library and information professionals and educators to recognize and encourage scholastic achievement among library and information studies students.
[Source: Official Beta Phi Mu website: http://www.beta-phi-mu.org/AboutUs/index.php]
0.5 linear feet (1 container) : 1 manuscript box
Language of Materials
Beta Phi Mu, the library and information studies honor society, was founded at the University of Illinois in August, 1948. The collection contains the University of Oregon chapter records consisting of bylaws, ritual information, correspondence, committee information and minutes, member and initiate information, treasurer's books and receipts, and a brass wick lamp, 1973.
Material within this collection has been organized by accession. This organization reflects the fact that the collection has been acquired in increments over time. This organization is also based on the decision not to merge the various accessions and organize them as a whole at this point in time, give the fact that future accruals are anticipated and/or that this organization is deemed sufficient for access.
Researchers should note that materials within a series or accession may overlap and/or relate to materials found in other accessions or initially processed materials. For example, correspondence may be found in all or only some groupings. In order to locate all relevant material within this collection, researchers may need to consult each accession.
Researchers should also note that similar materials can be arranged differently in each accession, depending on how the material is organized upon receipt or during initial processing. For instance, correspondence is one accession may be arranged alphabetically, while correspondence in another accession is arranged chronologically.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Donated by Ruth South, 1973.
Collection processed by Tanya Parlet, March 2012.
This finding aid may be updated periodically to account for new acquisitions to the collection and/or revisions in arrangement and description.
This collection received a basic level of processing including minimal to no organization and rehousing.
Description information is drawn in part from information supplied with the collection and initial surveys of the contents.
- Beta Phi Mu
- Beta Phi Mu. Beta Gamma Chapter (University of Oregon)
- Bylaws (administrative records) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- College students -- Oregon -- Eugene -- Societies, etc Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Colleges and Universities Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Education, Higher -- Oregon -- Eugene Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Greek letter societies -- Oregon -- Eugene Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Library education -- Oregon -- Eugene Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Library science -- Oregon -- Eugene -- Societies, etc Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Universities and colleges -- Oregon -- Eugene Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- University of Oregon
- Guide to the Beta Phi Mu. University of Oregon Chapter Records
- Complete Description
- Tanya Parlet
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid is written in English
- Funding for production of this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC).