University of Oregon commencement records
Scope and Contents
Collection is organized by accession and includes the following material:
Accession 1996.40.A: graduation and commencement programs, 1935-1980.
Accession 1996.81.A: One volume of typed and handwritten commencement orations by UO students, 1899-1904.
Accession 2002.48.A: photographs and audio recordings, 1991-2001.
- University of Oregon (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to the public. Collection must be used in Special Collections and University Archives Reading Room. Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives in advance of your visit to allow for transportation time.
Conditions Governing Use
Property rights reside with Special Collections and University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections and University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
Biographical / Historical
Commencement ceremonies have been held at the University of Oregon since 1888. While a student may graduate at the end of any term, commencement ceremonies are only held during Spring and Summer terms.
3.25 linear feet (3 containers) : 1 volume and 2 record storage boxes
Language of Materials
Commencement ceremonies have been held at the University of Oregon since 1888. The collection contains student commencement orations.
Material within this collection has been organized by accession. This organization reflects the fact that the collection has been acquired in increments over time. This organization is also based on the decision not to merge the various accessions and organize them as a whole at this point in time, give the fact that future accruals are anticipated and/or that this organization is deemed sufficient for access.
Researchers should note that materials within a series or accession may overlap and/or relate to materials found in other accessions or initially processed materials. For example, correspondence may be found in all or only some groupings. In order to locate all relevant material within this collection, researchers may need to consult each accession.
Researchers should also note that similar materials can be arranged differently in each accession, depending on how the material is organized upon receipt or during initial processing. For instance, correspondence is one accession may be arranged alphabetically, while correspondence in another accession is arranged chronologically.
Collection processed by Tanya Parlet, February 2012.
This finding aid may be updated periodically to account for new acquisitions to the collection and/or revisions in arrangement and description.
This collection received a basic level of processing including minimal to no organization and rehousing.
Description information is drawn in part from information supplied with the collection and initial surveys of the contents.
- Baccalaureate addresses Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Colleges and Universities Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Commencement ceremonies -- Oregon -- Eugene Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Education, Higher -- Oregon -- Eugene Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Orations Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Universities and colleges -- Oregon -- Eugene Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- University of Oregon
- University of Oregon
- Guide to the University of Oregon commencement records
- Complete Description
- Tanya Parlet
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid is written in English
- Funding for production of this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC).