Failing and Beekman Oratory Contest records
Scope and Contents
The collection contains one volume of hand-written and typed orations by students, with notations, from 1903-1931, and one volume plus loose files of typed student orations from 1941-1946.
- Failing and Beekman Oratory Contest (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to the public. Collection must be used in Special Collections and University Archives Reading Room. Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives in advance of your visit to allow for transportation time.
Conditions Governing Use
Property rights reside with Special Collections and University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections and University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
Biographical / Historical
The Failing and Beekman student oratory contest began with an endowment of 1,600 in 1883 by Henry Failing and C.C. Beekman.The contest provided two prizes of $150 and $100 for the best orations delivered by members of each year's graduating class. A third fund was established in 1944 by Mrs. W. F. Jewett for a third-prize award of $50.
Sources: Old Oregon, Vol. XXV, No. 9. May 1944; UO Catalogue, 1889-1890.
0.75 linear feet (2 containers)
Language of Materials
The Failing and Beekman student oratory contest at the University of Oregon began with an endowment established in 1883 by Henry Failing and C.C. Beekman that awarded two yearly prizes. The collection contains collected hand-written and typed orations by students, some with notations.
Material within this collection may have little to no intellectual or physical arrangement. Any arrangement may have derived from the records' creators or custodians. It may be necessary to look in multiple places for the same types of materials.
1 volume, 1 manuscript box
Collection processed by Tanya Parlet, February 2012.
This finding aid may be updated periodically to account for new acquisitions to the collection and/or revisions in arrangement and description.
This collection received a basic level of processing including minimal to no organization and rehousing.
Description information is drawn in part from information supplied with the collection and initial surveys of the contents.
- College orations -- University of Oregon Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- College students -- Oregon -- Eugene Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Education, Higher -- Oregon -- Eugene Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Orations Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Oratory -- Competitions -- Oregon -- Eugene Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Speeches, addresses, etc., American -- Oregon -- Eugene Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Student Life Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Universities and colleges -- Oregon -- Eugene Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- University of Oregon
- Guide to the Failing and Beekman Oratory Contest Records
- Complete Description
- Tanya Parlet
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid is written in English
- Funding for production of this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC).